Tips wanted for removal of Sue Miller CV driveshaft

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:06 pm

A chilly morning in the garage this morning!

I need to remove A Sue Miller CV driveshaft. The nylocs came off without a problem but despite much huffing and puffing I didn't get the driveshaft out. I've got the driveshaft as horizontal as I can by raising the rear suspension. I've tried tapping the outboard studs back through the outer half shaft [towards the middle of the car] and got them clear of the rear brake disc but can't get them through sufficiently to clear the half shafts. It's difficult to get enough purchase on the actual driveshaft to compress the two halves together to shorten the driveshaft to get clearance this way.

Anyone any tips?

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:29 pm

If the car is firmly supported on a beam under the car, close to the back wheels to make it safe. ( I use a long piece of 4x4 with two shorter pieces screwed on top with a gap just sufficient to clear the exhaust pipe), then you could try fitting spring compressors then undoing the bolts that hold the vertical link to the lower suspension members so that the vertical link can be swung outwards a little.

I've used this technique as an easier way of fitting new doughnuts.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Richard

Remove the 6 off M8 cap screws which pass through the CV joint. The joint is only recessed approx 3mm into the aluminium carrier so there's more than enough pluge to allow the driveshaft to be split here. Once the drive shaft is clear is easy then to remove the carrier from the stub axial.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks Bill and Andy

I'll try taking the cap screws off for starters

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Again Richard

Just be aware that once you split the shaft from the adaptor the CV joint will be exposed, so do take care not to get any dirt inside. I tie wrapped a polythene bag over the joint while I continued with the rest of the work I needed to do.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:55 pm

I just undid the 2 bolts on the wishbone, outer end, and swung the whole thing clear, 2 minutes.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 am

Quick update - removed the cap screws and that made things a lot easier. Have got the driveshaft back and when it gets a little warmer [ie above freezing!] I will get it back in by reversing the procedure.

Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:59 pm

jimj wrote:I just undid the 2 bolts on the wishbone, outer end, and swung the whole thing clear, 2 minutes.
Jim

I come somewhat late to this discussion but Jim has already posted the obvious answer.

Before looking for difficult solutions, explore the obvious short-cuts.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Related observation; like many, I suspect, I only view items of obvious interest and, more particularly, responses from people whose opinions I respect. I ALWAYS look at what Rohan has to say.........and others include Elansprint Pete (who isn`t quite 71 yet. ) I can`t believe it, I think he just paid me a compliment.
Then there`s others who..............I don`t read.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: