6 speed gearbox for the Elan

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:14 am

Must admit was originally intrigued by 6spd but have one in my 111R Elise & for normal driving tend to use 1,2.4,6th. maybe diff on track under race conditions? So i think for me a type 9 with BGH sporting close ratio's will be the way to go, :D Curly (but still watching progress with an open mind)
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Colin (Curly!)

Apologies for delay this end. I'm trying to get hold of some of the gearbox pictures you requested from a friend- but he appears to be away on holiday. I'll keep trying next week- if he still has the pictures they'll probably be more informative than my sketches.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks John, sounds good, time i had a holiday too. But sketcheys will be fine if no photos available, dont worry wont be judging as my drawings are a bit like a chicken walked over paper with ink on feet. Curly :lol:
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:58 pm

I think its worth re-iterating the point that the gearbox is not for really for track use. The ratios are pretty close to the Lotus 5 speed box (with a better change) and an extra extra overdrive for motorway work. Use the first four as if you have a standard bullet box and the other two for easy going between blats. It is not a close ratio 6 speed where you use all gears to max revs - that would require a mighty engine (hmm... a 210HP Zetec, plus this box, now that would be worth trying...)

My greatest regret is that my own car's rebuild was committed to a 4 speed box before this option was out of testing!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:33 pm

3750 rpm = genuine 85 mph in 5th gear in my +2 zetec. Sometimes I look for 6th but thats only because my Mini has 6 speeds which incidentally reaches a genuine 90 mph at 3750 rpm .......... all checked by my tomtom satnav, so no real difference there.

The gear lever is 36mm further back than my old 4 speed box, but I can't say I have ever really noticed the difference, and the gear change is certainly better than than a Lotus 5 speed and nearly as good as a 4 speed.

The result is a good strong gearbox that is easy to use and relaxed at cruising, I regularly commute and listen to Terry Wogan in the morning at fast lane speed. The MT75 box fitted to my Zetec +2 is strong and reliable and would easily mate up to an LTC, Spyder already do the conversion and Butchering is too strong a word for re-trimming the centre console for where the gear lever fits.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 am

Did anyone ever reach a conclusion with this thing? in other words:
Has the box been fitted and made to work?
Is it any good?
If so, how many units have been made?
Anyone here got one?
Any pictures?

etc.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 am

Hi,
Yes, I have one in my S4 and its great. I also have a 3.55 diff fitted, so about 3200 /70 MPH very comfortable.
The first 4 gears are similar to the orginal box, 5th being 1 to 1 and 6 being .89 I had a 3.77 in which gave blistering acceleration in the 4 lower gears, but still up at 3700 or so at 70 in top the 3.55 at my age suits very well. I had a discussion with Ken on saturday about it.
Off to France in two weeks to give it a real run.
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:04 pm

So; is Bob the only one?

How much to buy?

Any photos?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:28 pm

[quote="elansprint71"]So; is Bob the only one?

How much to buy?

Any photos?[/quote]

Photos of what?

The topic runs to 8 pages, I have tried reading it backwards and still do not know which gearbox is being discussed, other than it having six speeds.

Can anyone elaborate please.

Ian P
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Elanman99 wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:So; is Bob the only one?

How much to buy?

Any photos?

Photos of what?

The topic runs to 8 pages, I have tried reading it backwards and still do not know which gearbox is being discussed, other than it having six speeds.

Can anyone elaborate please.

Ian P

I think it's about the MX5/Miata gearbox but, as you imply, it's not the clearest of threads.

One might have thought that the perpetrators of this great idea would (given the limited market/sphere of interested folks) have been shouting from the roof-tops on the forum if, in fact, it does work.

Mazda parts are dirt cheap and I might just go out and buy ten MX5 boxes to go with the unwanted differentials on my shelves. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi,
No I am not the only one there are about six or so I believe, to look at it you would not notice the difference the gear stick is in the same place. See the photo.
I love it, I do get tied up sometime between 4th and 6th but then I did on my 993 aswell so thats me not the gearbox.
Will let you have a report after trip to France.
Bob
Attachments
Gearstick.jpg and
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks Bob, look forward to hearing from you. Have a good trip.
Last edited by elansprint71 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I hope that the 4th, 6th confusion doesn't happen on down changes?
That can push an engine well over its safe rev limit & cause valves to make freinds with pistons.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:I hope that the 4th, 6th confusion doesn't happen on down changes?
That can push an engine well over its safe rev limit & cause valves to make freinds with pistons.

John

Would that situation not require a 7th gear? :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:10 pm

No I have made sure Pistons and Valves dont get mixed up, I have a Omex rev limiter fitted currently set at 5500 but I might change that to 6000 RPM
Bob
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: