+2 door to window seals

PostPost by: bobchaplin » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi all

Has anybody assembled the window frames into the doors and has the procedure for what trim goes where? I have finally got to the stage of getting the doors on, (machining up phosphor bronze bearings etc) rebuilding the locks, the handles, got the doors aligned and locks all working! I have bought from Sue Miller new top seal strips and the small felt strip, clips etc but how do they all go together, the manual is as helpful as a chocolate tea-pot it shows the bits but not how they fit. If i fit the top seal (a bit like a offset T) so it is between the door and the frame it fits well I have trimmed it to the correct lenght but it leaves a gap of about 1/4" between the glass and the seal. If it is fitted to the inside of the window frame it seals the glass but then how does it fit against the 1/4 glass as it is now the wrong side of the frame. Does the felt small strip go interior side of the frame? I bought the car as a basket case, it was stripped to the last nut and bolt in 1978 so this is as near as it has got to being a complete car since.

Bob
bobchaplin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:13 pm

The lower seal goes between body and a metal strip, i just can't remember if that metal strip is part of the window frame or a separate piece. There are some 1/4" length screws that go through the trim clips, door skin lip, rubber seal and into spire clips on the metal strip. These screw clamp everything together.

Felt should be on the rear of the strip.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 pm

There is a felt covered u channel that goes into the frame for the glass to travel in. That is a push/interference fit.
There is a felt covered aluminium reinforced length of weather stripping which is attached to the inside lip of the door between the shell and the glass on the inside edge with u shaped spiked clips and then the rubber rain rubber on the opposite side using screws into captive metal clips
The quarter light is mastic fitted to the frame.

You can get kits from places like Oakmere
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:33 am

You might find the assembly portion of the door overhaul procedure in the WIKI helpful.

https://lotuselan.net/wiki/Lotus_Elan_P ... r_Overhaul
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: