Upol SMC

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm

I've bought a tub of this on recommendation and intend to use it on some of the smaller fibreglass repairs on my Plus 2 restoration.

However I'm struggling with finding much about it's usefullness and deployment in the repair of old fibreglass and how far you can 'push it'

For example does it sand smooth enough to take primer or does it require a skim of conventional filler over it or a layer of tissue?

Where would you use it in preference to conventional fibreglass paste?

I have some 6-8mm holes to fill where wing mirrors have been used - would it be suitable for a such a repair? I would propose to bevel the holes on each face and then fill from both sides with the SMC.

Any other pointers or tips on its use would be most welcome.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:07 pm

Quick bump - someone must have used this surely, I seem to recall it was recommended by a few folk on another bodywork thread?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:04 pm

I have used Upol Reface
Top quality

I cant find info on it either.

Seems like a standard fibre filler.

Will you sand down to fibre, or simply fill the hole and touch up. Not much strength in that.
Also, it will likely crack. As they dont like 90 or 45 or any corners really. Also, the smoother the transition the less likely to crack.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:41 am

I used it 3 years ago on the extensive body restoration on my +2. From what I remember its pretty hard to sand and had to be skimmed with dolphin glaze.
I didn't use it to fill holes or cracks, and most of the bodywork defects were undertaken with fibreglass mat or tissue, with SMC on top of that, that said, I did manage to go through a tin of it, most of which ended up sanded off!
I have no bodywork cracks 3 years on.
I used it at the time in the theory that it would shrink / expand at a similar rate to the bodywork and should remain stable, provided the key was very good.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:44 am

I think if I was dealing with holes in the wing I'd put some masking tape over the outside and use fibreglass repair from the back, the patches can be as big and messy as you like and you can key a big area. When it's all set up, remove the tape, skim of filler and should be good.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 am

I have used SMC and I think it will fill a 6 to 8mm hole. As you say bevel the hole well and put some tape underneath, whilst I have not had to face with fine filler I used Upol Reface which fills sanding scratches. SMC is harder to sand than P38 or P40 but you can get a reasonable finish with it - depending on your skills!
Cheers
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: