Door wont open

PostPost by: john.houston » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:58 pm

Hi I am putting parts back on my 69 plus two
I have fitted new bushes on the hinge of the drivers door at it moves lovely . I fitted a new cover and set screws to the striker plate lined it up and was happy that it closed first go .Not fully but half a click .
I pushed the door handle and it wouldn't open I climbed through and the interior handle had no effect
The door was working well when I remove it and I assumed it would close fine again,

I wonder if any member can help
I know its a door lock and has to be secure and I am terrified that I might have to wreck all my hard work to get it open .

Thanks John.
john.houston
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Evante » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:21 am

Hi John,

I don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem when I bought my '72 Sprint. The advice I got from this site was to drive the car around for a bit and it should pop open. I was lucky and it did.

Good luck!

JAS
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:55 am

When I fitted new rubbers they pushed the door out,making the pin press on the lock mechanism preventing it from moving.
the only way to open the door was to push the door IN , then press the button and open the door ! The rubbers compressed over time and now the problem has gone
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: