Vitaloni Sebring Mach 1 door mirrors

PostPost by: Andy Hamblin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Much as I don't like to clutter the lines of the Plus 2, I just can't live with everyday driving without door mirrors. So, I'm planning to fit a par of Sebring Mach 1's as they seem to me to be the best match stylistically.

I have read they are not as good as the Tex style mirrors for visibility, but I prefer the styling.

The ones I am looking at come in two versions:
- one with a foot that stands it off the door a little, this has a 2 point mounting
- the other that bolts directly to the door with a 3 point mounting.

my question is - should I buy the version with the foot, or is that not necessary on the Plus 2? I assume the foot offers a bit more adjustment than mounting the mirror directly to the door but that's just my guess.

I would prefer the version that bolts directly to the door, but until its installed there's no way of telling if it would offer reasonable visibility.

Anyone fitted either version? any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Andy
Sept 1970 Plus 2S, KOO38J Glacier Blue, 50/2432 (was Carnival Red)
Andy Hamblin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 pm

There is also a plinth available that raises the 3-point version. Originally the 3-point had the plinth integrated.

mirror plinth.jpg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy Hamblin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:55 pm

1owner69Elan wrote:There is also a plinth available that raises the 3-point version. Originally the 3-point had the plinth integrated.

mirror plinth.jpg

That's helpful, thanks. I wonder if I can get one over here. Actually doesn't look too difficult to make...
Sept 1970 Plus 2S, KOO38J Glacier Blue, 50/2432 (was Carnival Red)
Andy Hamblin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 pm

The plinth has a bit of curvature on the bottom to conform to the body. Flat on top. Undoubtedly could fashion one of these from a block of plastic or perhaps aluminum.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 pm

I think the usefulness of any particular mirror is going to depend on how tall you are, how far back your seat is adjusted, and where you place the mirror.

The original Sebring-style mirror on my Plus 2 was a position completely useless to me, but I'm very tall and have the seat all the way back, and it didn't seem to have much range of movement in its gimbal. I thought the 'bullet' type mirrors were attractive but much too cliché, and ultimately settled on the Tex mirrors. They may not be as sexy and aren't correct original equipment, but they are authentic to the general period, not so huge that they call a glaring amount of attention to themselves, and they seem to be functionally good. The height of their base puts them in a good position for my high-up eyes to use them and they have an excellent range of movement. That said, the one on the nearside is barely useful, as a more useful location would look obviously asymmetrical to the offside one. I did install it with a little nudge toward the useful location but not enough to be obvious, and having a mirror on just one side looks really lopsided to my visual sense. One thing I did do was modify the mounting a little bit so that a screw went through a wide washer inside the door, as with the expanding-plastic nub setup I found I could easily knock a mirror off the door.

But again, what works for you might be different. Don't drill any holes until you know for sure- use some tape to temporarily place the mirrors or have someone hold them to the car while you sit inside and evaluate the location.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: