A false Dawn but Finally stripped!!

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:42 pm

Having thought I'd finished the stripping of the paint and filler etc I suddenly realised I was experiencing a false dawn........ lurking in a corner were the bumpers and light pods. However now it's done but, i'm wondering if it's better to buy a new front bumper and near side headlamp pod....What do you think?

https://youtu.be/FwLdxVfw76M
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 pm

Interesting videos, I think you will have an enormous amount of work to bring the body back to full glory. I did a similar thing last year and used Reface which I thought was pretty good. I stuck with cellulose primers and topcoat and thought it looked pretty good at the time, but a year on I can see imperfections where the cellulose sinks back. I guess if I did it again I'd try a base coat and lacquer maybe.

Anyway good. Luck
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am

That bubbling , pinholing, is caused by water retention in the fibreglass, I found the only way to get rid of it was to sand back, do repairs and profiles and re-glass, once you have a nice new resin surface you will have a good solid base
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm certainly not underestimating the task ahead getting a good finish. I'm considering whether to use cellulose paint or not.

There were a few areas on the body which also showed some bubbling and bursting some of the larger ones revealed moisture.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: