Door Hinge pin....

PostPost by: djb222 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:52 pm

I removed both doors a few days ago, as I didn't have a 1/4" key I undid the hinges in order to remove them. I'll need new plastic hinge pins as the old ones are worse for wear and the hole for the key is a bit mashed.

I could make a key from key steel, however does anyone know of a proper tool for this application? Also which are the best quality hinges or are they all much the same?

Thanks
David
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:00 am

I just use a 1/4" drive ratchet extension. You could make your own key out of 1/4" stock. The large gun drilled locking nut has a standard Imperial thread-5/8" with 3/4" hex head, I think, but would have to verify. I used low strength stainless steel bolts, through drilled, to make replacements.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:43 am

Hi David,
Don't be surprised if new plastic hinges are a bad fit in the threads in the metal bobbins. I sourced some from one well known supplier and they were poor. Got some more from another equally well known supplier and they were identical so my guess is that there is perhaps just one source for these in the UK and that they are badly made. Cleaning the bobbin threads with a tap helps a little but basically all the hinges I received were slightly oversize and a very, very tight fit in the bobbins ie unusable. In the end I bought a thread die and ran it down the plastic hinges but that isn't a great way of cutting a thread in plastic and the end result was only just acceptable. Good luck!!!
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 am

David,
I had the same problem with slightly oversize replacement nylon pins. As above I ran a tap through the hinge casting to clean up the thread (the thread is cast) and this made the difference. Also as above, make sure you use the correct size square bar stock or you?ll destroy the pin.

If the lower bobbin is worn you?ll need fibreglass surgery to replace. I did bodge by re-fashioning the worn bobbin cup in mine with epoxy ?metal? and this, so far 3 years on, is not showing any wear, so buying some time.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for the advice.

All my hinge pins need replacing, not sure what they used to adjust them but it certainly wasn't the correct tools so the drive holes are toast.!!

On a positive the bobbins look in good order...at least something on the car is.

David
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: