Vacuum pod difference?

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi All,

I?m currently freshening up the vacuum pods on my 69 S4 and have discovered I have 2 different ones. The first has a U shaped bracket on the bottom with a stud in it and the actuator rod measures 4 3/4? from the top of the pod to the center of the rod loop when retracted. The second has no bracket but does have a stud welded directly to the bottom of the pod and the actuator rod measures 5 5/8? from the top of the pod to the center of the rod loop when retracted.

Can anyone confirm which is correct?
pods.jpg and

Strange thing is that both provided the full range of motion for the headlight buckets before being removed?.despite the 1 1/2" difference in distance from mount point to rod loop.

Thanks,
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:53 am

The one on the left of your picture looks to be correct for a non-failsafe system where both actuators would have the attached lower U shaped bracket for mounting. The other one, with the mounting stud on the bottom of the can, looks to be from a Plus 2 non-failsafe system where an intermediate mounting bracket is used ....ie it's not bolted directly to the body.
Failsafe systems use a single actuator with bottom stud mounting but would not have 2 vacuum connections as yours appears to have.

screenshot-from-2019-12-19-09-31-03.png and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks Roger,

I will have to make something to space the +2 version up I suppose.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:45 pm

snowyelan wrote:I will have to make something to space the +2 version up I suppose.

If it was working OK why bother ? .... I would leave it as it is.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:02 pm

The spacer would get the bottom of the pod away from the fiberglass which I think was causing it to rust from rubbing. The pod with the bracket has a lot less rust on the bottom.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:36 pm

I thought you were just concerned about the height difference - well worth doing then if it prolongs the life of the actuator.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:23 am

If you space it up to match other with bracket then you will need to adjust the length of the actuating rod
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:10 am

The right hand one looks like what was originally fitted in my early non failsafe Plus 2. There is a shape moulded into the front underside of the nose section that matches the domed shape of the bottom of the pod with a hole for the securing stud. Can?t provide pictures as mine were rotted through and I?ve gone the Mazda electric motor route. I don?t think the mounting height is too critical as I don?t think the vacuum pod linkage reaches the end of its travel before the headlight pod does so there is some ?wiggle? room there.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks All,
I ended up making a bracket that was 3/4" taller than the original one to suit the rod length difference so the overall length is the same.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: