S4 FHC Boot Interior

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:40 pm

When I bought my Elan, it was a wreck, the boot was empty except for a fuel tank which leaked. As I make slow progress, and wait for parts that prevent me proceeding, I thought I would search for carpet and trim. Looking at the parts book I see there is a board behind the seats, which I have, but there seems to be another board at the front of the boot, is this correct?

Also the parts book shows carpet in the boot, is this correct as all the photographs I have seen, show no carpet around the sides of the boot, but some show carpet on the boot floor. What should I have?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Do you mean horizontal or vertical pieces? The boot has three horizontal pieces that make up the floor,
#18 in the parts manual
Attachments
bc.gif and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 pm

of those 3 #18 pieces, only the largest covering the spare wheel is wood. the other two small pieces are like pressed cardboard or fiber board.

actually in this picture I have the piece "behind" the tank, but the "overflow" catch tank beside the tank nearest side fenderwell doesn't have it. Notice also the back panel hiding the tail light wiring is also the pressed cardboard. I have a Sprint, assuming same as S4?
818_examine_006-001.jpg and
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 pm

tedtaylor wrote:but the "overflow" catch tank beside the tank nearest side fenderwell doesn't have it..... I have a Sprint, assuming same as S4?

Ted, your car is Federal, the UK cars didn't have the extra emissions crap including that little tank.

The OP is correct, there are 3 boards,One of the boards (all #18 in the diagram) goes over the hole where Ted's catch tank is on Federal cars. I think I bought mine as a set from Sue Miller or Matty, can't remember which.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:16 am

Lots of useful info in this previous thread ....

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24368&hilit=+boot+floor
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Greg,

Sorry I should have been more specific, I did not just mean the floor, items 18 but also items 20 to 25 in the carpet section of the parts list.

Thanks for the help,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:55 am

I have a related question about the spare tire cover that was missing on my recently acquired '69 S4 FHC. I happened to have a spare one, probably from an S3, but it doesn't fit well, with the 155/80 spare it does not fit flush with the tank, can't get it to latch down. Is this because of the underside reinforcement strips, did S4s not have those, I'd think the panel would warp significantly without them, maybe use marine grade?
Jerry:
'61 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:33 am

jabingb wrote:I have a related question about the spare tire cover that was missing on my recently acquired '69 S4 FHC. I happened to have a spare one, probably from an S3, but it doesn't fit well, with the 155/80 spare it does not fit flush with the tank, can't get it to latch down. Is this because of the underside reinforcement strips, did S4s not have those, I'd think the panel would warp significantly without them, maybe use marine grade?

The S4 board is just 6 mm ply with no reinforcement.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 am

RichardHawkins wrote:Sorry I should have been more specific, I did not just mean the floor, items 18 but also items 20 to 25 in the carpet section of the parts list.

duh....
Last edited by pharriso on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:12 pm

he means from the carpet diagram
carpet.gif and
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Ted,

Yes I do mean the carpet diagram BE in the parts book, thanks for making that clear. BE shows items 20 to 24 as carpet and 25 as a mat for the boot floor. What puzzles me is that BE 20 looks like a vertical piece of rectangular carpet, BC 22 is a trim board rear scuttle, and BC 21 is trim board boot front. I have what I think is BC 22 but nothing rear of BC 22, except a fuel tank. Should there be two boards between the driver and the boot/trunk?

What I am trying to do is buy black loop pile carpet, and as far as I can tell I will have to import from the USA or Australia. As this will probably be difficult and expensive I wanted to buy enough for the whole car, but as there was nothing in the boot/trunk I don?t know how much I need. I find the BE difficult as all the boot/trunk photos I have seen show no carpet.

Someone mentioned a spare wheel cover, should there be one?

Thanks for your help,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: