VIN plate/body ID tag anomaly?

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:22 am

tedtaylor wrote:The rest of the story is that the reverse side of this plate was totally clear aluminum shiny finish with my VIN# stamped like this: "26/####" then below that: "26E"

Ted,
I had overlooked this and it brought another thought to mind. Your Elan is a Series 4. Perhaps someone was trying to pass it off as a pre-1968 Elan to duck a state emissions test as part of the annual inspection? A 26 chassis number indicates a Series 1 or 2, 26E is the prefix for any early Twin Cam engine part number and maybe part of the ruse was a made-up engine number as well. BTW, sorry I missed the chance to catch up with you in person at LOG39.
Russ
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am

Ted, not wishing to be pedantic (yes I am) but tyres were invented by a British, English speaking, Scotsman called Thomson though Dunlop took the credit, he`s British too, Scottish actually, but they spell correctly too; that`s TYRES. Chassis, incidentally, is a French word.
Lotus, being true blue British/English have tyres, a bonnet and a boot.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Jim = Love it! Thanks for the spelling lesson. :lol:

Russ = you're confusing my inventory. Yes, i have a Sprint, but i'm referencing my newly acquired S2 (Type 26)
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:34 pm

jimj wrote:Ted, not wishing to be pedantic (yes I am) but tyres were invented by a British, English speaking, Scotsman called Thomson though Dunlop took the credit, he`s British too, Scottish actually, but they spell correctly too; that`s TYRES. Chassis, incidentally, is a French word.
Lotus, being true blue British/English have tyres, a bonnet and a boot.
Jim

Everything was invented by the Scots - just ask any Scotsman, he will confirm this. :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:26 am

tedtaylor wrote:Russ = you're confusing my inventory. Yes, i have a Sprint, but i'm referencing my newly acquired S2 (Type 26)

I shall take my hat and go quietly...
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: