Needed a front turrett for my 26....so I made one.

PostPost by: gus » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Make a jig consisting of 2 sheets with holes drilled for all four suspension pins.
Cut the crossmember off of the chassis leaving the chassis as intact as possible.
Cut the old towers off and cut the old crossmember closing plates off and replace
bolt the towers and crossmember to the fixture*
weld
remove from fixture then set the chassis on a perfectly flat surface[!] measure and weld the assembly to the chassis

* my chassis the lower pins were so out of position from the factory we had to cut the drivers side lower pin out and reweld it to get it to fit in the fixture
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Nice work on the turrets. I wonder if you might have pictures of the chassis after the old turret had been cut out and/or of the new ones tacked or being welded into place.
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: deadline » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:44 am

Some pics
img_8992.jpg and
New turrets

img_8994.jpg and
New turrets
'65 Elan S1, '66 Elan S3, '66 Elan 26R
Deadline Dan
USA, East Coaster
deadline
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: deadline » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:52 am

Vacuum box repair
img_9213.jpg and
remove old

img_9211.jpg and
fit repair

img_9216.jpg and
Deadline Dan
USA, East Coaster
deadline
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: deadline » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 am

Weld weld weld
img_9223.jpg and

img_9227.jpg and

newturrets.png and
New Turrets

Now on to the rest of this frames issues.

We can make new turrets and get then back on in place as per the specs. If anyone has a need please reach out.
Deadline Dan
USA, East Coaster
deadline
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Might have been an idea, for while the vacuum tank is open and definitely free of fuel fumes, to fit a 'drain' plug through which in future you could vent compressed air to clear out any fuel fumes through the little entry tube.

You still can do it of course, provided that you do it before running an engine and vacuum system.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: deadline » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Bill, what is the recommended type of 'drain plug' for that? Like a radiator drain plug or something like a schrader valve?
Deadline Dan
USA, East Coaster
deadline
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:19 pm

deadline wrote:Bill, what is the recommended type of 'drain plug' for that? Like a radiator drain plug or something like a schrader valve?

Dunno, it's just a suggestion, I don't know of anyone who has actually done it, but then until your messages I had never heard of anyone rebuilding the front suspension turrets. :shock:

If I was doing it I would use the same kind of drain as used in a fuel tank, but probably mount it on the side (front?) then you could stuff a thin air pipe in (to wave it about inside) and have it exhaust through both the usual inlet and also around the edges of the air pipe.

It was brought to my mind by this topic and realising that I had not informed the welding bloke that there was a small chance of fuel fumes in the vacuum chamber when I asked him to weld some strengthening plates on the bottom of my turrets.

Fortunately if you always have a non-return air valve near the carburettor intake there is actually very little chance of any fuel fumes getting into the vacuum chamber or staying there (and mine didn't explode). 8)

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16727&hilit=turrets
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am

billwill wrote:Fortunately if you always have a non-return air valve near the carburettor intake there is actually very little chance of any fuel fumes getting into the vacuum chamber or staying there (and mine didn't explode). 8)

When I welded a front tow hook to the crossmember of my S4 I tried to empty the crossmember first by filling it with compressed air and let it vent out : quite a bit of oily gunk came out (mostly in my face). A small hole evenually let most of it out, but I figured that over the years, fumes eventually made it through the valve, which originally was connected on #4 with the head breather... I now have connected the vacuum valve to #1 cylinder.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: deadline » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

We will definitely be adding tow hooks as they are required for vintage racing.

Not sure about the vacuum tank drain. I can find no pictures of a drain on any of the spider frames. Also not sure that we need a vacuum tank as we would run either fixed lights or no lights at all in racing.
Deadline Dan
USA, East Coaster
deadline
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:56 pm

deadline wrote:We will definitely be adding tow hooks as they are required for vintage racing.
Not sure about the vacuum tank drain. I can find no pictures of a drain on any of the spider frames.

I had an S3 which had a Spyder frame (reconditioned Lotus type) not the space frame.
It had a round vacuum tank with drain plug, towing hook and removable wishbone fulcrum pins.
Attachments
drain-plug-1.jpg and
drain-plug.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: