Vynil trim repairs

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 pm

I have a couple of holes in the centre console on my +2 and was wondering what to do about them short of retrimming which I don't really want to do. I have asked a couple of people who advertise locally that do vynil repairs but they seem to run a mile when I send them photos. What would you do?...Leave well alone or attempt a home repair in situ?
Has anyone had any success with the DIY vynil repair kits that I see advertised on-line?
See pics of the repairs needed.
centre-console-2.jpg and

centre-console-3.jpg and

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:18 pm

in a few words repair in situ should be an improvement but most likely not invisible (black is the easiest to repair, but there are shades of black ... and gloss variations) : I would try it myself on account that is an easy one without much stress (unlike seats), making sure the part is as clean as possible before beginning. You may want to keep it as small as possible to minimize the patch causing variation in appearance after repair. If you're not too picky you may even just fill the holes with some black silicone and make a texture before it hardens (depending if the holes are within or out of reach).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29 pm

The seats are out of the car at the moment so the damage on the centre console is accessable.
You seem to be suggesting just a small squeeze of black silicone..Sikaflex/Tiger Seal type silicone or similar?
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:24 pm

black silicone is pretty sticky when it catches within the hole, a bit darker and shinier than vinyl thoug - only if you're not too picky ... and I would not do it if in a location where tere would be streching or contact. Then there are kits one can find to repair vinyl, with some patches to recreate a texture close to the original one...

I've used black silicone to fill a small gap on the dash. The idea is to reduce the contrast between a small blemish and the surrounding, so that it does not catch the eye...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:39 pm

.there's probably (hopefully) a sq inch of this vinyl whrere u could punch a hole or 2 where you could try black hot glue or ski repair stuff which u can even heat with a lighter or some rod material of certain pvc pu or so at the right dia could be cut and "fitted" and glued in good luck Sandy silicone will look special
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:14 pm

I have used this quite successfully in the past.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Restor-Vinyl-L ... 59&sr=8-12

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:57 am

Thanks for the input guys, all good suggestions. Being a mechanical sort of person playing with upholstery is not my thing at all!
Getting one of the DIY resto Vynil repairs kits sounds like maybe an idea and then have a practice on a spare bit of vynil before attempting any console repair sounds like it could be a plan. No doubt it won't result in perfection but if it stops my eye being drawn to the defects it should be an improvement.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 am

Alan,

This is a small repair for a professional that I doubt would exceed ?60/?70. Ifs just not worth the effort and likely disappointment of trying it yourself as you can guarantee you won?t be happy with the result. If you lived near me I?d recommend LVV Services as what they can do is quite incredible - have a look at their website.

There will be similar companies near you - perhaps google smart repairs vinyl near you or better yer ring a local car dealer and ask who they use I know LVV spend a lot of time working on forecourts so your local dealer is bound to know of a good one.

Do report back with after photos.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:02 am

Hi Steve,
I know what you mean about being happy with the result that does worry me. You obviously have a good company local to you who does such repairs.
I have approached a couple of supposedly vynil repair companies but after sending them photos they said it wasn't for them...One said it was too bad and needed recovering the other said that repairing old vynil on classics was not for them.
You though now have spurred me on to do another local search...

Thanks,

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: