S1 Dash Board

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 am

Greg -

Glens photo of the dash / instruments is as is mine and correct except that I have a factory installed Radiomobile AM/FM radio. My edge trim is silver plastic similar to the photos, fastened with small brads,

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you all for help, information and pictures of S1 dash boards and clocks .

Does anyone have an original dashboard they are willing to loan me as a template as I have located a source that is more than willing to make me a dashboard .
I will all pay P+P plus return the dash as loaned .

Regards . Greg.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Where are you located Greg?
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Sorry
I'm based just outside Preston ,Lancashire but don't mind travelling to collect and return if thats proffered by the owner of the dashboard .

greg40green wrote:Thank you all for help, information and pictures of S1 dash boards and clocks .

Does anyone have an original dashboard they are willing to loan me as a template as I have located a source that is more than willing to make me a dashboard .

Regards . Greg.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Sorry
I'm based just outside Preston ,Lancashire but don't mind travelling to collect and return if thats preferred by the owner of the dashboard .

greg40green wrote:Sorry
I'm based just outside Preston ,Lancashire but don't mind travelling to collect and return if thats proffered by the owner of the dashboard .

greg40green wrote:Thank you all for help, information and pictures of S1 dash boards and clocks .

Regards . Greg.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Greg,
Sure, you are most welcome to drop by anytime. I am in Canada though...
best regards,
Andrew

I'm based just outside Preston ,Lancashire but don't mind travelling to collect and return if thats preferred by the owner of the dashboard .

Regards . Greg.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 pm

I just want to correct my earlier post. I checked my dashboards and the little extruded trim strip on the S1 and S2 is in fact plastic, that looks a lot like metal because of its sparkly metallic colouring. Just looking at it I thought it was metal, but when I touch it, it is certainly plastic. My mistake, and I just wanted to take to correct it.

knockoffnut wrote:Hi Glen,
As far as I know the S1 had a very small metal edge trim around the leg cutouts of the dash. When they switched to molded plastic edge trim for the S3 the dash got a about 3/4" shorter to compensate for the size of the plastic trim. If you look at your original dash you should see the mounting holes for the small metal trim.
Last edited by knockoffnut on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:18 pm

And I have looking for that plastic trim for many years......
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm still looking for an S1 dashboard any condition to use as a pattern .
I promise to return and pay P+P both ways .
Thanks , Greg..
Lancashire , England.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:11 am

I have one but I live in the US and the cost to ship is expensive. I can?t believe no one has one in the UK?
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 am

Certified Lotus wrote:I have one but I live in the US and the cost to ship is expensive. I can?t believe no one has one in the UK?

Might not be accurate enough what about tracing it or don't a rub and shipping the paper?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 am

Good idea about tracing but I need the depths of the cut outs at the back of the dash plus all kinds of other measurements .
Someone in good old blighty must have an S1 Elan dash board that they are prepared to loan out ?????
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 am

Hi Greg. Not sure this helps at all. In the process of building a GTS car and we needed a S1 Dash for that. Friend of mine has an unfinished-blank that we used as a template for the outline, and then marked the cut-outs from a very old tatty dash we had. (That old one is long-gone)
The template is actually a suitable blank. Infact its probably better quality ply that we could source, however, it was not mine to ?Finish? so we just used it to make an outline copy. (Also note, in the other pictures, we have additional cut-outs for 1 additional gauge, oil-pressure warning light and the battery cut-out switch/lever, these are not standard on an S1 off course)

I?ve still got the Template, as in picture 2 and 3 below. If all else fails, might be a starting point Greg, and I?m sure he would be happy to loan it out.

Freddie.
Attachments
dash-mockup-1.jpg and
dash-blank-1.jpg and
dash-blank-2.jpg and
dash-build-1.jpg and
dash-build-2.jpg and
dash-build-3.jpg and
John "Freddie" Nelson, Berks UK
26/3212 - Rebuilding
S4-Sprint DHC - Now at a new home.....
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:29 pm

paddy wrote:I believe they only ever had a plastic strip. It's no longer obtainable, but there have been a few reports here of homemade alternatives; eg lotus-elan-f19/restoration-0086-unit-3067-t21274-15.html#p150258
Paddy

I recently considered doing what Rod Little did (referred to in Paddy's posting) but decades ago I modified a bit of trim from a later Lotus 2-litre model (didn't note which one) cutting off most of it just for the L section. It isn't quite the same as the original which was nailed on, as mentioned earlier.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Evening Freddie
Thanks for the offer of the template which if you are happy to send I will gratefully reimburse the P+P and promise the safe return of the template .
I have an original S2 Elan dashboard which after studying photographs looks to have the same layout of toggle switches and dials so I would be hoping to transfer the correct dimensions of the dashboard equipment via the S2 dash to the the S1 dash cut out I take from your template.
I will PM my details to you .
Much appreciated
Greg.

Fredtech wrote:Hi Greg. Not sure this helps at all. In the process of building a GTS car and we needed a S1 Dash for that. Friend of mine has an unfinished-blank that we used as a template for the outline, and then marked the cut-outs from a very old tatty dash we had. (That old one is long-gone)
The template is actually a suitable blank. Infact its probably better quality ply that we could source, however, it was not mine to ?Finish? so we just used it to make an outline copy. (Also note, in the other pictures, we have additional cut-outs for 1 additional gauge, oil-pressure warning light and the battery cut-out switch/lever, these are not standard on an S1 off course)

I?ve still got the Template, as in picture 2 and 3 below. If all else fails, might be a starting point Greg, and I?m sure he would be happy to loan it out.

Freddie.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: