S4 Exterior Door Handle Nut - Any great ideas?

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:07 am

My Passenger side outside door handle is slightly loose, anyone find a good way to get to tighten the nut up?

I'm talking about this one:
inkedwilmotbreedon_extdoorhandle_li.jpg and

I had the inner door trim off to do another job, looks like no way to get onto the nut with the door handle itself very tight to the nut.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 am

You might try asking on the Europa forum, it's the same as fitted to my TC and I'd be curious to know the answer.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: foxoles » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:41 am

IIRC when I restored my Europa Special - very small turns of an open ended spanner, or, I found a pressed metal ring spanner (very cheap manufacture) and ground down the edge to fit, but, again very small turns - takes forever.
foxoles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:02 am

These nuts have to be done one way or the other (probably only one way though), that is how the handle holds on to the door... having a magnet at the end of a flexible holder may be of use to recover lost nuts (or washers).

removing the window assembly would offer a bit more room, but where would be the challenge then?

to be done on a good day, without too much coffee (or tea) maybe...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:04 pm

From memory I think I managed to get a small 1/4" drive ratchet socket in there.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:07 am

Interesting that your S4 handle has a stud threaded into the handle at that point. My 1970 Plus 2S has what look to be identical handles but mine use a machine screw through the fibreglass and into the back of the handle. On the Plus 2, there is no access problem created by the window mechanism, but I was wondering if you might find it easier on you S4 to remove the stud and use a screw instead ?

Just a thought . . . Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 am

Phil,
this sort of 1/4 drive socket set is cheap enough to grind down to make fit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT0753-Qualit ... SwNgxWEpbN

I seem to recall that the advice is to tighten half a turn over hand tight ( assuming the thread is clean) or risk regret every time you look at the star cracks.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJ908 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 pm

The same door handles are fitted to some of the other British Leyland cars of that era, notably the Triumph and Jaguar saloons. I use a 5/16 tube socket to fit the nut. A 1/4 drive tube socket, such as one shown in the previous post, should just slide up past the door actuating mechanism fitted to the back/inner part, of the door handle itself. There should be a plain washer and a star washer under the nut.

Robert
DJ908
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: