Farmer sill repair!

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Though that I might show how I have done my sill/latice repair. Please excuse the welding as my old standby went up in smoke in the middle of the project and the quick craigs list replacement isn't much. When I can get the body off and on its side I'll clean up/finish the weld's and glassing in.
To weld next to the flammable fiberglass I use a couple of pieces of light sheet steel as a heat block and a sheet of the same to catch any molten bits that may fall. Immediately after the weld I cooled the rod where the heat was being conducted to the glass with compressed air.
Not exactly "adding lightness" but it will be as strong as the original.

Kurt
26/3754
Attachments
CIMG1429 (2).JPG and
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 am

Hi Kurt,

Good Job mate! ... I had to do a complete rip out (carefully) of the 'trellis' on my sprint when I restored it. I made up new bottom halfs of the frame assy's and sent them (tie wrapped into place!) to option 1 who fitted and welded them in before glassing them as required.

When I bought the car I was surprised to see the rusty frames had damaged the cills quite badly and O1 had to rebuild them with a new cill and floor repairs to the passengers side.. I used 10mm rebar for the main 'longeron'..
I remember those being a lot of work to remove, remake and fit.

Well done!
IMG_3522.JPG and
heres a few pics I took for my album... :roll:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:12 am

Thanks, Alex.
My floor and sill had split out the full length on the passenger side [battery side!] and about half way on the driver side. I had to be a little creative in clamping everything back together and doing glass repair before the lattice repair was done.
Little bit of a hurry on the project since I didn't want to remove the body from the frame till I had put a little strength back into it. I plan on getting the mechanicals up to snuff this winter with the body off.
Don't want to do fiberglass work inside my heated shop since I haven't any brain cell's to spare! :lol:

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:04 am

I left the fiberglass repairs to the experts. The body was fitted with a good strong frame before we lifted it off and during the repairs to the cills. O1 Frank said it was not really required but would do no harm at all.

I prefer to stick to what I am good at.. Good idea meethinks.. :wink:

Happy days...

Al' ....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:15 pm

What ever work's, Alex.
I think that any and all idea's on doing whats necessary to keep these cars on the road is worth posting for the good of the group. I'm sure that as I go forward with my car that I will end up doing things that others have done in a far better manner. As to the sill's I had a couple of other ideas that I scrapped for the necessity to get going on this. I considered building a box section of fiberglass and moving the steel lattice work up on top of that so that it wouldn't be right down where water collects. Also considered doing the same repair in stainless steel but in the end decided that if its now been 49 years since manufacture that it probably won't matter in another 49 years. At least not to me! :lol:

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: