Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:11 pm

That would presume I can remember the safe place that I put the sample. I'll check the usual suspects and see if I can find it.
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 am

Found them. I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I can remember my various special hiding places.

I don't know the price. I sent an email to the supplier and will update when I get it. Here is a picture of the two types that he sent me.

I think the flap type is the correct one.

Cheers, Dan
Attachments
attachment.ashx-5.jpg and
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

I never knew that the correct door aperture seal for the Elan was a flap type; I have always used the tube type as I found on the car when I got it in 1974. I did not buy my car new, so maybe a previous owner put on the tube-type seal. The flap seal shown at the right in Dan's photo looks just like a rubber seal available from Baines in the UK. It is seal type DX73 and can be found on page 88 of the catalogue here: http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/media/cohba ... alogue.pdf

I understand that if you print a page of the catalogue on A4 that the profiles shown will be actual size.

I have ordered a sample. I have had water ingress problems for years......

I am almost afraid to hope that there might be a solution here!

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Quick clarification. I just got a call from Martin MacGregor. The elan did not come with the bristleflex type door seal, which is what he had sent me. He did think it would fit very well and look nice, but he also carries the original style which is a tube type as John states. He is sending me a sample, which I will take a picture of and post. I have also suggested that he list his company in the Business Vendor section.

Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:01 pm

the original were flap type as shown in the Lotus Parts list not tube type :lol:
Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 pm

I wish MacGregor's site had pictures of the various seals, which wouldn't waste everyone's time with waiting for samples, postage, etc.

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I have the MacGregor door seals on my car. They are the bulb type. They work and look better than the previous aftermarket seals that I have tried or seen, but they still impede correct door fit IMO.

I am certainly interested in the flap types shown in this thread, I wonder if there is a US source?
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm

elanfan1 wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hi Chaps,

The seal I bought is as per Jas' s piccy, (ta for posting the pic)

I'm not saying it's exactly the same because it's not, as it's not got the fabric on it. It is however the correct profile rather than the tube type so at least you can get the door shuts right!

The auto regalia strip I had was listed as AR _TRIM_SIDEFLAP1 (rubber car door seal edge trim)and was ?4.07 per metre. I got a long 5 metre strip for an S4 dhc which fits fine. Auto regalias phone number is 0191 2618488

5 metres is nowhere near enough for a DHC to do in one complete piece - I'd have thought 6.75 metres to be safe! (It is approx. 21.5 feet around).

You're right! I looked at the invoice again & I had six metres not five, think I measured it at 5.7 metres total for a dhc....... sorry- senior moment starting early?
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: denis peirce » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi, ive just ordered door seals from Auto Regalia for my elan s4se dhc and they are saying that they are on there last roll so if anybody needs some i should get in fast. Cheers Denis.
denis peirce
New-tral

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:51 pm

The single flap seal is readily available from the manufacturer - don't panic!

I looked at getting the tooling made for the original two falp seal - You have to pay for the tooling and buy a couple of thousand meters so it doesn't make sense.

I have the sectons for the elan, I'm just not set up for selling them online - it can't be that difficult. Give me a couple of days and I will post something in the business and vendor section.

PM me if you are in need.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:32 am

The seals on my '67 S3 Coupe looked the same as on the Austin/Morris/MG 1100.

But does "correct" mean different types for other series of Elans?

The account from Brian Walton... (http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/saggin ... saga.shtml)...included this tip:

"Oh by the way I haven't mentioned the door rubbers...I asked if he knew where he had seen this particular type. MG 1100 was the reply. And sure enough the next morning I found a MG 1100 in very smart condition just about to go to its maker-crusher. The door rubber is the same! You will find that the passenger door surround is the best. Most owners of MG 1100's never carried rear passengers (the rubbers become flat) and the drivers door becomes over used.

Anyhoo...the MG 1100 seals currently shown on the net looks like this, and is similar to the OEM stuff. Anyone tried it?
MG Door Seal.jpg and

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 am

I bought set like those O profile type for my 1969 S4 DHC. Doors are pretty difficult to close (but they work) I'm looking to replace with the C profile type.

I do remember the C profile type on my first '69 S4 dhc in the late 70's.

James

I have heard McGreggor in Ontrario Canada has them. C type profile
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:04 am

elancoupe wrote:I have the MacGregor door seals on my car. They are the bulb type. They work and look better than the previous aftermarket seals that I have tried or seen, but they still impede correct door fit IMO.

I am certainly interested in the flap types shown in this thread, I wonder if there is a US source?

Ray at http://www.rdent.com/ lists the flap type. I'll be getting some soon.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 am

RogerFrench wrote:
Ray at http://www.rdent.com/ lists the flap type. I'll be getting some soon.

Years ago, I bought the flap type from Ray, they were still too thick for good door closure, even trimmed as per the instructions.

I do not know if he has a different source these days.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: