T5 BW in a +2 chassis.

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:20 am

Gidday,
I have been searching through the archives re fitting a BW T5 box to an Elan.
Now I have a +2S with an original chassis, owned it for years but unfortunately due to other projects it has been put to one side for many moons now but this situation is about to change.
I have a well tweeked Zetec to go in ( 200HP), I want a dual purpose car for long distance touring, live in Australia, as well as the odd squirt on the track. Having reached the ripe age for retirement I want to build a car that will not be stressed, hence the idea of a T5.
So my question is : has anyone actually fitted a T5 to an Elan be it a Baby , +2 with a Spider chassis or original?
Thanks,
Les.
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:17 am

I'm pretty certain that various Forum contributors have built all of the variations that you've mentioned & they've been fairly well documented in previous posts.
The G/Box that is most commonly mated to the Zetec is however the MT75, for which all of the necessary (conversion) bits are readily available.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 pm

There has also been progress with the Mazda unit, the first few production conversions will be up and running soon. Speaking to Neil Myers, there have been some changes to the actual castings for the MX5 G/box, but this is not causing much trouble. The clean mating of the engine/box and ancillaries (including mechanical speedo) is still working well.

I attach a few pics of the conversion in progress and in an Elan chassis. This project is at low numbers so far, but there haven't been any real issues. Still no 'shrink wrapped' kit as the team are anxious to make sure that there are no deal-breaking issues with the conversion.

From what I have seen, the Mazda unit is the way to go - less and less MT75s around in good condition.

Jeremy
Attachments
Engine Gearbox.jpg and
6 speed gearchange.jpg and
6 speed small ex side.jpg and
6 speed small in side.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kmoist » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 pm

What version of the Miata gearbox are we talking about? Is it the 2006 on up, or the 2001-2005?. Does anyone know how the position of the gear shift lever is compared to a T-9?Thinking of putting a 2007 Miata box in a Birkin and was wondering if the dimensions were very close to the T-9. Ken
67 S3 Elan FHC
36/5823 chassis
LP6076 LBA engine
kmoist
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: