Elan +2 Non Spyder Zetec Conversion ( new photo's added )

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Mark the ST170 engine can be used with megasquirt like john clegg has done with his +2 using one of the programmable outputs to switch the variable valve timing solenoid at a settable rpm. A friend of mine run an anglia with ST170 on carbs no problem & as you say altough badged duratec it was a marketing ploy & is a zetec with big valve head & VVT
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't know the ST170 engine but the last Ford Engine that I looked at closely was the all Alloy 4 Cyl, Duratec, with Morse chain driven Camshafts, which replaced the Zetec.
Problems like G/box adapters are relatively easily solved & a good ECU Man could manage the variable valve timing easily.
The Duratec presented major problems for installation in an Elan because Ford had adopted the European standard Cylinder Head configuration of having the exhaust ports on what we in GB would call the "Driver's side".
The Chain driven Oil Pump is also on that side & (obviously) right at the front of the engine.
This also places the Oil filter there as well.
All of that really leaves no space for the Elan Steering Column & the front of the Engine would, I think, need a very big piece of the Chassis cross member (Vac' Tank) removing in order to fit.
I suspect that Ford have now continued to develop engines with the Inlet & Exhaust ports the "wrong way around" & subsequently made them almost impossible to fit into our cars.
Perhaps you could pop your head under the Bonnet of "her indoors" car & check my suspicions Mark?
Interestingly the Japanese who also drive on the "correct" side of the Road still develop their Engines with the exhaust ports on the "Passenger side", even though the engines are not fitted longitudinally.
Similarly you may have noticed that European cars have their Exhaust Pipes positioned on the left, pavement side of the vehicle whereas Japanese Cars position them away from the Pavement (Sidewalk) again talking in GB terms.
As RichP has mentioned the Ford production intake system of even the Zetec would be much too big to fit into an Elan so an intake Manifold for either Jenvey type throttle Bodies or Weber Carbs would need to be made. Not at all difficult compared to the problems mentioned above.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 pm

John, as Ian says, it's a Zetec even though it has Duratec on the engine! Ford management decided that all the top-of-the-range cars should have Duratec, so just stuck the badge on the plug cover to comply.

After a quick look on the www it seems like there's a lot of info on the Zetec, mods to do etc. Very interesting stuff, but I must resist! Too many other projects to complete. Hmmm, perhaps another quick look won't hurt though.......

Mark
Attachments
2008070523404310499Sporty%20engine%20001.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks for the Pic' Mark,

that's a healthy bunch of Bananas under the bonnet, not surprising that it goes well, especially with VVT as well.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotusfan1985 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Rich,

My dad used to own this car. I?d be curious to speak with you about possibly coming up to see the car, take some photos etc to show him? He really adored that car and I know it would mean a lot for him to see it again - even just in photos.

Not sure if you even own this anymore but I thought it was worth a shot.
Lotusfan1985
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: