Lotus Elan

Rear Lights S2 & S3 NOS !!!

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Salut

I would agree and abide by a pricing rule - though I am guilty (well, not really according to the current rules) of asking for interest on a mate's steering wheel recently. IMHO it's more in keeping with the spirit of the forum.

And, of course, it wouldn't stop members from trying to get higher prices (guilty, too :oops: ) elsewhere.

However strict rules are sometimes restrictive or inappropriate, so where would a price of ?X o.n.o. stand ?

Personally I'm more annoyed when someone's first (or second) post is in the 'For Sale' section - it would be less so if it was clearly marked that they had paid the $5 fee.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:37 am

In response to various PM's asking for clarification and in absence of an apology to Gino.

Please read this topic lotus-parts-f33/parts-for-sale-all-now-sold-t33532.html

It seems Leslie is guilty of dual standards when it suits him, a synopsis is below.

image.jpg and

Those that live by the sword.......
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:52 am

Personally, I would never "make an offer" and I can see Leslie`s point though he might have made it a little less forcefully. On the other hand I can appreciate Gino`s difficulty. These S3 lights are, clearly, very valuable, way more than ?350, and Gino probably doesn`t want to appear greedy but he deserves to be paid their value. There`s only one way to find out.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 am

I don't understand why some folk would 'never make an offer' or don't respond at all to these type of adverts. Are you all saying that when you see a car advertised for sale at a price you agree to that price or do you in fact make an offer. To me it doesn't seem very different.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:48 am

Re Spyderfan's post about double standards - what's worse, posting a rare item and asking for offers ahead of/instead of putting it on ebay or buying something at well below a fair price from a forum member and then slagging another member off? I know what I think.
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:01 am

To save anyone who is remotely interested from looking it up, here is my posting re the backplate that was for sale.

Oh Vern, don't you have the 'LOTUS ELAN CHEAP PARTS FOR SALE BUTTON' on your computer ?

I picked up the backpate for ?15............bargain :lol:

Of course Alan, you are completely wrong about me having dual standards. You see, I did not buy the backplate for ?15, and my humour went straight over your head. I have conversed with Vernon many times, and I was just winding him up. Feel free to contact John Nelson to confirm, should you feel the need.

But what I find 'disturbing', is that you either looked up some of my postings to see where you could try to trip me up, or you saved that posting at the time, for a rainy day.

Well the sun is shining here, and you are a sad 'man?'

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:41 am

Leslie why do you insist on acting heavy handedly?

If I don't like a "make offers" ad I can just ignore it. I would rather the item be posted here than on eBay.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 am

I agree with Mark,a lot of items are hard to price and often the best way to get a fair price for both parties is for a make an offer style of deal to be done.That is unless some one thought he/she was missing out on loads of "cheap" bargains happy to see forum members go short :wink:
I have found all the members i have dealt with on this forum to be 100% honest and above board (might not want to share a pint with the odd 1or2 :roll: )who would much rather another member get a fair deal than rip them off(i am not implying they should see themselves short either)
To say that the members cannot conduct a sale without making it on an offer basis i actually find insulting to the memberships integrity and smacks of someone on a control trip.
Oh and mentioning slavery in the context of this post ........please
regards
Paul
ps thinking of selling plus oatmeal trim/early w/screen trim/rear bumper etc.no idea of value anyone want to make an offer :twisted: :lol:
Said my bit for what its not worth make an offer
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:17 am

I'll offer ?5.00 for the rear bumper....only if it's near perfect...

John :wink:

P.M. not sent...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:30 pm

I think it is Leslie who has overstepped the mark here.

If he thought your original posting was off-limits he should have used the REPORT button {!} to bring it to the attention of our webmaster and it would be up to Jeff Cocking to issue the kind of message that Leslie did.

I agree with Mark, asking for offers is sometimes the only practical way to get a realistic price for rare items.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:49 pm

To the question in hand and my two pennies' worth.
When anyone of us has an item for sale, even if its a difficult to price item, we generally know what we'd be happy with.
If that price is too high for others, it won't sell and the asking price will usually be reduced accordingly.
If it's a fair price ( or a bargain!) in potential purchasers eyes, it will sell and both parties should be happy.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:51 pm

512BB wrote:To save anyone who is remotely interested from looking it up, here is my posting re the backplate that was for sale.

Oh Vern, don't you have the 'LOTUS ELAN CHEAP PARTS FOR SALE BUTTON' on your computer ?

I picked up the backpate for ?15............bargain :lol:

Of course Alan, you are completely wrong about me having dual standards. You see, I did not buy the backplate for ?15, and my humour went straight over your head. I have conversed with Vernon many times, and I was just winding him up. Feel free to contact John Nelson to confirm, should you feel the need.

But what I find 'disturbing', is that you either looked up some of my postings to see where you could try to trip me up, or you saved that posting at the time, for a rainy day.

Well the sun is shining here, and you are a sad 'man?'

Leslie

No Leslie, I'm not stalking you, I simply remembered that post and was surprised that you took part in Fredtechs topic given that we had only recently conversed by telephone about the For Sale forums and our mutual dislike of sellers who don't set a price.
Why was it okay to use that topic where goods were for sale open to offers as a vehicle for an "in joke" when you reacted with such vitriol to Gino's post?

The correct way to settle the issue is as you rightly say is to start a poll and I suggest you do this by starting a new topic.

At the moment the rules and guidelines are quite clear and sellers may ask for offers and in this particular case I would have found it hard to disagree with this method of selling given the rarity of the parts and their condition. Show me some others that have been for sale at a set price in recent memory.

On a personal level you are good company and very knowledgeable about our cars, on the odd occasions we have met up its been a pleasant experience. Your online persona on the other hand is a little out of control and reporting this whole topic to our long suffering webmaster as you mentioned won't set you in a good light I fear.

As I said in a previous post, let's all be nice, this is a valuable online resource that is normally pleasant to use.

Perhaps see you at Tim Wilkes Sprint drive out day? You can pick holes in my S4 and I can beat you from the lights on tickover.....
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:32 pm

I never contact someone that states make an offer................Every car site I belong to requires a price.
I've brought this up before and some folks got their panties in wad..............
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:02 pm

cal44 wrote:I never contact someone that states make an offer.........

A somewhat bizarre attitude to my mind!

Now folks you've got to be fair, so all those who advocate that all offered items must be fixed price, must definitely put what they will pay on any posting that they make for an "Item Wanted".

:roll: :roll:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kpcseven » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Gino, the lights are incredibly rare as NOS items, and I certainly wouldn't like to put a price on them. I believe that inviting offers is the best way to go with something like these items, unless you are a charity.

Of course you could re-advertise them on here as ?10,000 or nearest offer, which would satisfy the need for a price. You may have to come down in price a little though.

Please don't be put off by the rude ramblings and negativity written by some. Most of us are, like you, enthusiasts and not dealers out to make a quick buck, and are happy to pay a good price for something so rare.

Mark

I've read this entire thread and agree with what Mark has written above. I would have absolutely no idea of how much some rare part might be worth and would be hesitant to place a price on such an item over concern that I would appear overly greedy and then get flamed as I have few posts here (I read all of the time to learn and just don't have the technical expertise to have anything meaningful to say). I also wouldn't feel too good about selling a rare part and then finding out that the buyer had re-sold it for far more, or even that it simply was worth far more than I had asked and was being taken advantage of. Posting a "make an offer" here to what overwhelmingly appear to be group of great enthusiasts doesn't equal to to anything evil in my book.
kpcseven
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: