Zetec to 4 speed clutch confusion

PostPost by: Pjr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am

Hi everyone. I have read lots of information on here about flywheels and clutches for mating a zetec (2.0 blacktop) to a 2000e box and I've got myself confused. I was going to fit a MT75 and researched that thoroughly, and I think I am conflating information about that installation with this one.

Essentially, it seems that the standard route is a 1.8 zetec flywheel drilled to take a pinto clutch. Where I am getting confused is whether that setup uses the standard clutch release bearing/fork pivot, or whether I still need to space the bearing (or increase the length of the clutch pivot)?

Alternatively, can I retain the standard zetec clutch/flywheel parts and just space the bearing forward? I'm assuming a zetec clutch assembly will fit in the bell-housing??

Finally, I will need to work out which starter motor to use for whichever setup.

Really sorry to post a question on this well-discussed topic - the information is out there and I've read it many times, but I have "over-thought" this and got myself confused.

Many thanks,

Phil
Pjr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Phil.

Ill check my starter to see what it is. The 1.8 flywheel is smaller and lighter than the 2.0 which is why its used. Ill have a look at the clutch too and post pics when i can.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 pm

The flywheel I used is from Fidanza. One issue was the location of the ring gear on the flywheel. The ring gear on that flywheel has 135 teeth and is a bit larger than the standard Elan, meaning the standard starter will not engage the ring gear, if mounted to the original holes in the Elan bell housing. Can't speak to the 1.8 flywheel, as that engine is not available here in the US. Within the pile of parts that came with my car, was a pre-engaged starter, designed for the regular Elan flywheel. I wound up buying a 104 tooth ring gear from DBR, and turned down the diameter where the ring gear mates with the flywheel. Because the Zetec flywheel is approximately 1 inch closer to the back of the engine than the TC engine, I also moved the new ring gear location further back on the flywheel. This, still was not enough, and a new adapter for the pre-engaged starter was made to space the starter further forward to allow a fully centered engagement of the pinion gear to the ring gear. All this nonsense is a US problem, if you do not want to spend a bunch of money trying to get the needed parts from England. But, be aware that the spacing of the flywheel at the back of the engine is different between the TC and the Zetec. Things have to get closer together with a front driver, and the flywheel/ring gear diameter needs to match the TC when using the TC bell housing. Between Spyder and turbosport.co.uk, you should be able to find local parts to fit the need.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pjr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Paul, that would be great, thanks.

Prezoom, you have made me grateful for the fact I have access to the UK parts catalogue which sounds like it will offer me easier paths than you have had to tread. Your information is all very useful as although I know what a clutch looks like I?ve never had to sit down and mix and match parts to make up a kit of my own.

I think my starting point is that I need to decide which flywheel to use first - existing 2.0 (big/heavy) or the 1.8 version. I?m happy to get a 1.8 flywheel but at the same time reusing the 2.0 setup already mounted on the engine would save some money (possibly).
Pjr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 am

You probably need to research what starter will work with the large diameter flywheel and the 2000E bell housing. I am not familiar with the 1.8 smaller flywheel, but it needs to have the same diameter and tooth count as the standard TC flywheel if you are planning on using your existing starter. Try taking a look at turbosport.co.uk. Scroll down to the Garage section, click, and then down to the Technical section. The Zetec thread is there, as well as the Running Gear thread, which covers gearboxes. After doing a search, if you cannot find what you are looking for, you could join and then post a question. The site has lots of information, similar to this site, and the questions are answered about as quickly as they are here.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pjr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:31 am

Prezoom,

Good tip, I?ve joined that forum this morning and it does seem to be a great source of expertise.

Many thanks,

Phil
Pjr
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: