Fuel Pump Position

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi Folks

Am fitting EFI to the +2S and just about to finish off the fuel tank and pump installation. I am using the Bosch 0580464070 external in-line pump with a swirl pot below the level of the fuel tank to feed it. Question is does the whole of the pump have to be below the fuel tank low level or can the pumps "lift" the fuel. A convenient position puts the pump such that the fuel tank bottom is about half way up the pump.

Has anyone got the Bosch installation instructions they could copy me?

thanks in advance for any help

cheers

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 am

Bob
I don't know where you're fitting them but there is room in the nose (even with the headlamp lifter pods)

John :wink:
Attachments
efi pump and swirl2.jpg and
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi John thanks for the info.

I am planning to put the motor and all the stuff in the boot and in fact have progressed this quite a long way.

What I did not realise is just how much lower that the low fuel level should the pump be?--if at all. had assumed that the pump could provide some small lift capability.
have attached a picture of what I have done. I followed info I had seen in other posts on other web site about other cars. I used a "inky water" filled tube and the very low point on the tank is around half way up the fuel pump see picture.

I think it should be OK but always nice to get it confirmed.

thanks for comments and any other info U may have

regards

Bob
Attachments
DSCF1496.JPG and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:51 am

The lower you can place the pump, the better. The rotary electric pumps like a flooded suction, the less suction lift the better. They run quieter too.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Bob,

I'm running with the same pump. I spoke to several people and it seems that as it is a Push type of pump, then it would work better with a constant feed. In my mind that puts the pump lower than the tank. It will create an amount of suction by doing this but I'm not sure how much. Ideally you should also have a filter before the pump too. The Push effect will "lift" the fuel high enough to reach the injector rail, be sure to put a filter here too.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks Paul 4 the info

Sean at Spyder thinks it should be OK. I showed hm the same picture as the one in the post above. With any fuel in the tank the pump will be below the level of the fuel. I have wondered about a filter on the tank output. Have you used one and if so what type was it? I am told U need to be careful because the flow rate is quite high-- higher than when a carburetor system is used.

regards and thanks for info

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Bob

On some of the Bosch pumps there is an internal filter,you should be able to see it,mind you,some (like the one I had) didn't have one in and was knackered within days by small pieces of crud..you can open them and clean them out but cannot re-seal them....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Bob,

Any modern day fuel filter will do on the output,an XJS 5.3 v12 is what I was recomended to use.

Paul

When I get home home ill take some photos and put them on site.May not be a while for now.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: