1967 Lotus Elan S3 DHC ..... Easy Project

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:42 am

I started to have fun with this topic a couple of weeks ago by showing a couple of pics and asking what prople noticed. I have now come to my senses, I have remembered how old I am, I have noticed again that I have many more years behind me than in front of me , and that if I want to sell the Elan, I had better get on with it.!!!

Let's start with what everyone wants to know, what is the price?

The price is $25k. US

A little information.

This car was one of two Elans owned by one of my best friends. He was also a long time member of this forum and The Lotus Corps Sports Car Club headquartered in Chicago. His name was Jack. One of the two Elans I owned from the 1970's to 1996 when I sold it to Jack and his wife. I've been trying to buy that back for years. Sadly, this was not the manner in which I wanted to buy it back. The Elan I'm selling is one that Jack was going to build into a race car. It is at the stage now where it can easily be a race car or completed back to a normal street car. It is looking very good!

Jack passed a little over two years ago after having some surgery.

I am trying to make this a relatively easy project for someone. I realize many people would like a project but may not have the skills or ability to perform such a task. I have owned a Lotus since 1972. I was an SAE Certified Mechanic for years at a dealership and then an instructor at the Porsche / Audi Distributor in the 1970's. Thankfully I have the knowledge and ability to build engines, transmissions, etc. I also have access to a body shop that can complete the body work. By completing the engine, transmission, and the body work and paint, I believe this will make the assembly of this Elan much easier and more attractive to a prospective buyer. The car is now at that stage.

I do not see many, if any parts missing. At a purchase price of $25k, a purchaser can be in this Elan for way under its current approximate value of $40k to $45k when completed.

The Spyder Frame appears to be nearly new.
Adjustable rear A-Arms
Adjustable front control arms
All new bushings and adjustable joints
New small diameter adjustable rear spring perches and springs.
New Koni (I think) rear shocks, ( adjustable from the top of the shock tube)
New Tony Thompson fully adjustable front shocks with adjustable spring perches.
New rear CV joint axle assembles that include the special stub axles going into the diff
Diff installed
Stainless Brake Lines installed
Brake Calipers appear to be rebuilt with no run time on them.

The engine has just been built. Balanced, new bearings, new guides, valve job, new rings, new Water Pump, 125E Rods with new ARP Rod Bolts, Weber 40 DCOE Carbs, New Oil Pump, produced 40 PSI, broken in on an engine dyno with approximately one hour of run time. A video is available.

The transmission was disassembled to inspect. Bearings and Syncros look new. Re- assembled and ready to install.

New clutch and pressure plate. Also balanced

26R Flares and Bumpers installed on the body. Bodywork just completed. Painted in its original BRG color. Silver bumpers. Basecoat / Clearcoat.

Comes with steel wheels. New Panasports available for an additional $800.

Included is nearly all the parts to complete the assembly. Glass, Lights, Interior, Dash, Wiring Harness, Top, etc

Clear title included.

I will send pics via a regular email where I can include more than two at a time.

What questions do you have? What can I assist with?

Located near Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Some delivery possible at $1 a mile.

All the best,
Frank Filicicchia

[email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
678-596-1207
Attachments
Frame L side.jpg and
Front lower adjustable arm.jpg and
Diff area.jpg and
Diff area 1.jpg and
Weber head bottom.jpg and
R rear w bumper.jpg and
L side painted.jpg and
L qtr w boot.jpg and
L Frt w bumper.jpg and
Bonnett painted n shop.jpg and
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:26 am

What a spectacular deal and project! Good luck, but I suspect you won't need it - this should move quickly.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 am

You're getting old, Frank. Why not sell me the other car--the blue one? :)

Seriously. A great project here. Good luck with the sale.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adtosler » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Frank i replied to your message
adtosler
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:06 pm

Great looking project. Good luck with the sale.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 pm

elan In the future,

This is the perfect car for you! Thank you for the thoughts. I'll trade it for a certain Karmann Ghia! With Free Delivery!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:12 am

Blue one for the Ghia. Deal!
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:23 am

Just a short video of the new engine. The block has still never been bored. Very rare on a vehicle of this age. 40 pounds of oil pressure. Only leak while being run in was from the oil filler cap. A new seal resolved that. No strange noises. Ready for a new owner.
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: geni » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:12 am

too bad! because the cost of shipping in France?
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:44 pm

SOLD!

Everyone, please allow me to say "Thank you!" for all of the emails and correspondence I have received in regards to this car. It will be traveling to its new home in the near future. It was purchased by an enthusiastic gentleman named Neil Crittenden. I'm going to miss this one!

As I have eight Lotus Vehicles, in the near future I may consider selling another one. Either a 67 Pre-Airflow Coupe or a 65 S2.

All the best to everyone and Happy Lotus Motoring!!!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: neilcritter » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:33 pm

Thank you Frank!

We can't wait to finish the project and get another Lotus Elan back on the road. It's home will be in Oklahoma where I know of two other Elans (RW's in OKC and SL's in Tulsa). I look forward to engaging with this supportive online community for the years to come.

Neil
Neil Crittenden
Oklahoma City
1967 S3

"I don't know Jack"
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50881
neilcritter
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:18 pm

Welcome to the fold Neil.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="neilcritter"]Thank you Frank!

We can't wait to finish the project and get another Lotus Elan back on the road. It's home will be in Oklahoma where I know of two other Elans (RW's in OKC and SL's in Tulsa). I look forward to engaging with this supportive online community for the years to come.

Neil[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:04 am

So here’s how this works.

Wife and I are driving over to Fayetteville for an all-British car show, from Tulsa, 2 weeks ago. We drove past a TRW and an odd looking Japanese car at a gas station, and mutually waved, figuring they were headed where were.

When we got to the hotel, we met Neil and his crew from Oklahoma City. Neil was in the bizarre Japanese car, that he somehow got into a British car show, because (he claimed) it had come into the US from the UK. Be forewarned if he ever offers to sell you a bridge.

It turns out that he had never seen, or maybe even heard of, an Elan before. I’m nuts about mine, so I waxed on about how roomy, comfortable, and reliabe it is. And fun, too.

Anyway, long story short, next day at the show he’s showing me online ads for Elans. When we got back to Tulsa, he sent another. The another. Within a few days he had settled on this one.

Moral of the story, beware of driving your car, or telling people about it. You might infect total strangers beyond all hope.

And since this site played a significant role in my infection, you all, by extension, have some responsibility as well to ensure that Neil has a positive Elan ownership experience! Which I predict won’t be a big problem.

Can’t wait to see the finished car, Neil!
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: neilcritter » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:24 am

6C21C677-86FD-415D-B254-05CEF9DDD0EB.jpeg and
1991 Nissan Figaro at British Car Show

Thank you Steve! It's totally true!

During the Covid lockdown I connected with friends in the British Car Breakfast Club. I found a 1991 Nissan Figaro on Bring a Trailer that had a design similar to British cars and had been in London from 1991 until 2018. It is right hand drive and can accommodate my wife in the front seat and our three small children in the back. While it was not from a British company, it's been a good British company, and has been a delight for us this last year.

My friends in the car club encouraged us to take it to the Fayetteville British car show as it is such a wonderful and welcoming audience. We were honest that it was a Japanese car, and placed it in the other category where it came in second place (out of three cars). Attached is a photo of my wife and myself next to our beloved Figaro at the show.

Steve's story is true. I had attached a GoPro to my car just before our group left the gas station across the scenic dam, and soon after recording Steve's red Elan "sprinted" past (get it?!?). It was amazing that we captured the moment (picture attached). It was love at first sight. Call me a car romantic.

At the British car show my wife and I toured the entire field. It was her attraction to Steve's Elan that really sealed our deal together to get an Elan. Steve told me about classifieds on lotuselan.net, and that evening after the show I found this classified ad and showed it to my friends who agreed (to my novice dismay) it would be a "simple" project.

Special thanks to Steve for vetting this project. My heartfelt appreciation is to Frank and his friends in Atlanta who are presently assembling all the parts to eventually ship to Oklahoma City in the coming weeks.

I deeply admire Frank's commitment to his dearly departed lifelong friend Jack. Jack started this project and has done 90% of the work but prematurely died after surgery a couple of years ago. My wife and I find it most appropriate to name the car Jack after it's completed in his honor.

My goal is to take it to the 2022 British car show in Fayetteville, where I'm sure everyone will ask me, "Where is that cool little Japanese car you brought last year?"

Best wishes,
Neil
Attachments
3EAEC705-203A-4289-ABA5-297E7121B75E.jpeg
Steve's Elan Sprint as captured by our GoPro
3EAEC705-203A-4289-ABA5-297E7121B75E.jpeg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Neil Crittenden
Oklahoma City
1967 S3

"I don't know Jack"
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50881
neilcritter
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Neil,

I'm in Tulsa as well. Still waiting on my Elan to be at a point where I can pick it up.

My wife and I were long time residents of Fayetteville. I was a member of British Iron for a long time. Unfortunately the car show always seems to be the weekend we race at Hallett with CVAR.

Look forward to meeting.

Tim

Coopers66 at aol dot com
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: