Lotus Elan S4 and Europa for sale

PostPost by: sbernst » Mon May 24, 2021 6:51 pm

My father owned his Elan 1969 S4 for decades. He bought his brother's Europa about 15 years ago. Both he and his brother were talented auto mechanics, not by trade (they were engineers) but rather as a hobby. The family is interested in selling both cars and all of the parts they have, ideally to one buyer.

Issues:

1. My father just had the Elan serviced and was driving it home when he rear-ended a car going about 10 mph. The nose and radiator were damaged.
2. The Europa was running ~1 year ago but has been sitting in a garage since then.
3. Both cars need work to get them running again and to fix other issues (some rust in the S4 frame, interior, etc.)

Parts: There are probably $2-3k of spare parts, including a weber head and spare block.

If you are interested, let me know and I can send you photos and try to address any questions.

Stuart
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed May 26, 2021 5:09 am

Hi Stuart,

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth advertising the Europa on the Europa forum, a sort of equivalent to this but for the 1960/70s Europa.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?board=3.0

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dan in NJ » Thu May 27, 2021 2:42 am

Stuart,
I would be interested in pictures of the Elan.
send to yahoo and dcoate50

Thanks in advance,

Dan in NJ
Dan in NJ
New-tral

PostPost by: sbernst » Fri May 28, 2021 6:18 am

Thank you. Good idea

Stuart
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri May 28, 2021 2:59 pm

PM sent with email address.... no response yet??
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sbernst » Fri May 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Sorry, I don't see it. I must be doing something wrong. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 650-275-3092.

Best,

Stuart
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: sbernst » Sun May 30, 2021 11:12 pm

Just sent you an email.

Best,

Stuart
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: sbernst » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:06 am

I posted a message about the sale of my father's cars last week. Thank you all for the responses and advice. Quick update. My brother listed the cars locally on Craigslist and quite a few people were interested. He then sent the note [below] to those parties. Recognizing that many of you are not local, I want to make sure that you saw the notice. We will present all offers to my father. I think he would like to see it in the hands of Lotus enthusiasts like this group. I'm traveling the next few days but my brother is reachable at the email address below and I will be checking emails in the evening. My email is [email protected]. I'd like to give a shout out to Rich Kamp, who was kind enough to drive down, look at both cars and parts and help us think about this process. For those of you that plan on having someone else bring the cars back to top shape, Rich would do a great job. Stuart

Thank you for your interest in our father’s Lotus Elan and Europa. He and his brother are Lotus enthusiasts and enjoyed years of pleasure and satisfaction from driving both cars. Given the level of interest we have received on Lotuselan.net and Craigslist, we have decided that a simple and quick “process” is the easiest and most fair way to part with our father’s cars. We have made an arrangement my father’s Santa Clara, CA mechanic to allow for group visits to see and examine the Lotus Elan ('69 S4), Lotus Europa (circa '72 Type 74) and associated parts.

Process/Timing:
1. The address for reviewing the cars: 2517 El Camino Real, Suite D, Santa Clara, CA 95050
2. Time slots: Wednesday, June 9th from 10am - 12pm & Thursday, June 10th from 4pm - 6pm. RSVPs would be appreciated.
3. We would prefer to sell both cars and all parts as a bundle, but will accept bids on either car and the parts separately
4. Offers will be accepted by email at [email protected] through June 13th with the goal of finalizing the sale by June 14th. Offers should include the following information: a) The asset(s) of interest (e.g., Both cars and parts; Elan; Elan plus parts; Europa; Europa plus parts, just the parts); b) The offer price; and c) The method and timing for removing the cars. Note that this should take place no later than June 30th.

How will we select a buyer? The winning bidder will be selected based not only on the price but also the willingness to bid on both cars and the parts as well as ease of execution (i.e.; we want this to be as simple and easy a process as possible). Having said that, if we find two great buyers for the different cars, we will endeavor to work with each, if possible, to make this work best for everyone.

Notes:
1. Please do not arrive early at the garage. The owner of the garage cannot accommodate people before the hours offered and the car owner will not be present.
2. Some of the parts are at a different address (in Los Altos). Interested buyers can caravan to Los Altos after the car review with Alex.
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: sbernst » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello everyone,

Here is an update. A group of local people stopped by yesterday to see the Elan, the Europa and the parts. My brother also took a video of the parts, which are now better organized. There is considerable interest in the Europa and some interest in the Elan. Offers are due by the end of the weekend. My guess is that everything will go below fair market value because my brother and I just don't have the time to organize and "market" everything properly. If you have an interest, I would submit an offer (see instructions above). Who knows. You may end up with one or two cars and parts. I must say that the Lotus community has been incredibly friendly and everyone is really interested in seeing both of these cars out on the road again soon. The best way to reach me is at the coordinates below because I do not check this forum regularly.

Best, Stuart
([email protected], 650-275-3092)
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: sbernst » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Final update: We received about a dozen proposals. The winner wanted to buy both cars and all of the parts and is local so it worked well for everyone. Once again, I want to thank this group for its interest and advice. Best, Stuart
sbernst
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 pm

we'd all like to know the winning bid amount??????
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: