1967 S3 S/E Coupe

PostPost by: adigra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 am

Sold

As my lack of presence on the forums shows, I've been very inactive on the Elan front for a few years, which makes me think the time might be to move on. I picked the car up from Paul Matty last year after it had a gearbox rebuilt, plus various other odd jobs done, and it has done only about 400 miles since, which is a crime.

It's a 1967 S3 S/E Coupe in Wedgewood Blue. 127k miles, but most of it is brand new. I am looking for £35000 for the car. I am in West Yorkshire.

The car has a folder recording everything I have had done on it since I got it in 2009, plus quite a bit of history prior to me. At one point some years ago I added up the invoices to £50k, but haven't done so again as life's too short to worry about it.

Some highlights:
-Galvanised Lotus Chassis
-Option 1 body restoration (£14000). The body is the best I've ever seen! Comparing the before and after Option 1 is quite fascinating, especially the shutlines, and the general solidity of it.
-Retrimmed interior with Paul Matty seat covers, Sue Miller everything else.
-New Dash (which sadly now has a crack in the veneer) and retrimmed original steering wheel
-Paul Exon engine rebuilt and dynoed at 145bhp
-Spyder rollover bar and side sill protection.
-Spyder adjustable suspension, wishbones, narrow springs, etc.
-Spyder half solid driveshafts
-Tony Thompson fast road exhaust
-123 programmable distributor (probably the best upgrade I made to it)
-Converted to negative earth and alternator
-High torque starter motor
-Aluminium radiator with electric fans and adjustable control on the thermostat housing
-The car is on Minilites with new tyres, but it comes with its original steel wheels including spare
-Lots of small jobs such as converted rev counter to work with the alternator, bulb pump in the boot to prime the carbs, brake fluid reservoir moved up for easy access, Sprint style cooling holes under the engine bay, etc.
-I've always had it on K&N filters, but it comes with its correct airbox and backing plate

As you can probably see, I have given it a lot of attention over the last 10 years as I saw it as a forever car. But things change and I think it really should be used and enjoyed.

I am very happy to answer any questions. Anything I've forgotten I'm sure to have a record of in the files. I also have many larger photos.

Adi
Attachments
sgfdgfdsf.jpg and
sdfsdfds.jpg and
gdfdhfgj.jpg and
DSC00612Sm.jpg and
Elan03.jpg and
Elan02.jpg and
Elan01.jpg and
Last edited by adigra on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:12 am

A superb car. Good luck with the sale.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:17 pm

What a beautiful car!

good luck with the sale,

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MrBonus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm

Your Elan is an absolute stunner. Good luck with the sale!
1967 Lotus Elan Coupe - Super Safety
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
1973 Ford F100 4x4
MrBonus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Thank you all!

Having spoken to a few people, and having had an offer from a dealer (not a terrible offer it must be said), I realise I have overestimated the value of everything done to the car. In light of that I'll adjust my expectations and reduce it to £35k.

It's strange to say, but it's not so much about the money as such, as I need the space for something else, as it is about a fair market value. I am under no illusion that I was ever going to recoup even half of what I spent, but someone will really get a top car.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:30 am

Like others have said, what a stunning car with a great color and details. Its a shame after all of the effort you need to sell. I have a considerable investment (I have to face it, it's actually a sunk cost!) going into my Elan right now. I plan to keep it for a long time and enjoy if while I still can...

Some enthusiasts get together and rent shop/warehouse space to keep their favorite vehicles secure, yet available to enjoy. If its about space and not about funds, that might be a consideration. It's also an opportunity to create a community of enthusiasts. Garage space is also very limited for me and some of my friends, so we are considering starting up a local collector shop/storage in our town which would include security and appropriate insurance.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 pm

StressCraxx wrote:Like others have said, what a stunning car with a great color and details. Its a shame after all of the effort you need to sell. I have a considerable investment (I have to face it, it's actually a sunk cost!) going into my Elan right now. I plan to keep it for a long time and enjoy if while I still can...

Some enthusiasts get together and rent shop/warehouse space to keep their favorite vehicles secure, yet available to enjoy. If its about space and not about funds, that might be a consideration. It's also an opportunity to create a community of enthusiasts. Garage space is also very limited for me and some of my friends, so we are considering starting up a local collector shop/storage in our town which would include security and appropriate insurance.

The space is definitely part of the problem, but it's also about now having an itch to try something else. We have 6 cars, not counting the daily drivers, so something has to give in order for something new to arrive. We even looked at buying an industrial unit to store the cars, but our town is very short on available space. I really wish I knew more enthusiasts locally as it would be really fantastic to do what you suggest.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Flying Banana » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi. Beautiful car. Whilst the colour is "wedgewood blue", I don't suppose you have the paint recipe used? I need to repaint my car and this hit a great blend between a suitable in-period colour and something which also looks good today. regards.
1966 FHC S3 Elan
1969 Alfa Giulia Stepnose - halfway Alfaholics GTA-R
1998 Caterham 7 Superlight R
Flying Banana
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Beautiful looking car and don't think I would be able to part with it. I know how much as gone in to mine and it looks scruffy in comparison..Or nicely patinated if I was thinking of selling it :lol:

I know what you mean regarding units though. I had a brilliant space for 10 years in a village in the outskirts of Huddersfield & wish I could find something similar without it costing the earth.. unfortunately as soon as you mention cars people who have rental space get a bit nervous due to the bad reputation associated with the motor trade..
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: