Graham Hill's +2 RAH 400F

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:11 pm

The ex Graham Hill +2 is coming up for auction at Historics in November. It is the one he is pictured with below.

Listing is here: http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/aucti ... -hill.aspx

In light of the rather high price paid for the ex-Ronnie Peterson Plus 2S 130/5 earlier this year, it will be interesting to see what this one goes for.

Tim
Attachments
graham-hill-2-in-2016.jpg and
Now
graham-hill-2.jpg and
Then
Last edited by trw99 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:43 pm

Okay, I'll start the guessing at say...?55,000 who's next ? :D
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:05 pm

?68k's my guess :) ........... Bet it would have been the first +2 to crack 100k if it was the original silver etc.... but it's a bit of a mess.

Might sound allot but could be arguably the most well known +2?
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Ronnie was a true great IMO but Graham Hill was a two time champion.

Surely it has to go for more.
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 am

richardcox_lotus wrote:Ronnie was a true great IMO but Graham Hill was a two time champion.

Surely it has to go for more.
Richard

... and Graham won Le Mans and Indy too!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:35 am

Good point, well bought out!

This one has the added bonus of a 'Black Bonnet Badge'. Must add a few thousand to the value ....

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:39 am

How much it goes for would be large if Damon wanted the car and someone wanted to bid against him !!!!
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Might a young Damon have rode in the back of this car?
Imagine pulling the seat base up and finding a school painting with "Damon Hill" in the corner!

Perhaps not, I should get back to work! Love to restore it though!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Strange how it's being sold three days before the 41st anniversary of his death.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:46 pm

This is like George Washington's axe. Yes it may have the same registration & Vin numbers, but the engine has been changed, the body repainted & no doubt the chassis has been, or needs to be changed. What bits have any Graham Hill connection, the interior maybe?

I still remember that Sunday evening news when it was announced on the Beeb that his plane had crashed in fog... Sad day indeed.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:07 pm

pharriso wrote:This is like George Washington's axe. Yes it may have the same registration & Vin numbers, but the engine has been changed, the body repainted & no doubt the chassis has been, or needs to be changed. What bits have any Graham Hill connection, the interior maybe?

I guess the only number that ultimately matters is the Reg, it maybe be able to be traced via the Unit/Body number.... I can only imagine what it would have fetched if untouched/survivor (Still had matching numbers and original paint) but some one will pay allot of money for it to look the same and carry the correct reg (always get more money if you can show a picture of the celeb in question leaning on or sat in the car)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Chaps. Certainly caught my eye, as did Ronnie's +2. I saw that car at Historics and given its (apparent from an admittedly fairly cursory look) condition I thought without the fabulous history, it was a ?12K car at best so let's say something like a six-fold increase in value for the ownership.
I agree that, certainly in the UK, Graham is a more respected/popular driver than Ronnie (ducks down, hands over ears) but he is the only guy who has or is now ever likely to take the triple crown (can't see Oor Nige landing a Le Mans win now) and at the end of the day he was a bit of a dude. On that basis, I'd guess this will do better though the lack of original engine, steering wheel etc. will work against it. On the other hand if there were two seriously wealthy Ronnie fans who had to have his car and only broke Graham nuts it will make ?7K!
Vested interest fully admitted to but consequently what do the Team think this is worth?
Currently documented, complete but unrestored. I'm thinking beautifully done, ?35K X 6, ?210K but sorry, not for sale!
Cheers
Rob
S3 SE FHC
S3 SE DHC
S2 7
Attachments
graham-hill-elan-2-2.jpg and
graham-hill001-2.jpg and
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:28 pm

That is a bit special Rob, and has to have a huge premium over a standard Elan. And it's an S3 S/E Coupe as well, so definitely top of the pile!

My mate was derided 3 years ago when he paid ?250k for Jimmy Clark's old road going Lotus Cortina. He has since turned down a couple of genuine offers nearly doubling what he paid for it. There is only one of them after all.

I would love the ex-Hill Plus 2, but the trouble is, I would prefer to restore it in yellow!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Indeed Mark but they do look good in silver. Luckily mine is yellow anyway and many thanks again for putting me onto the source of a few more pictures of it a few years back.
I remember Jimmy's LoCort well; special car with an independent rear I think. How much for Jimmy's Elan S3 SE FHC, sister to my car then? Jimmy to Jabby to current owner as far as I know.
Cheers
Rob
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:51 pm

He didn't use the S3 very much and consequently is is very original I believe. I really don't know the value of the Elans, but it should be high!

The Cortina is so much revered because he had it from 1963 until he died, and always used it when he went back home. The owner and I have had a couple of meetings with Doug Nivan, Jimmy's cousin who has the farm next door and used to look after Jimmy's place when he was busy. Doug always had to make sure that the Cortina was running properly and fueled up ready to be driven.

Strange, and I can't see Lewis Hamilton getting so excited about a 5 year old Ford! We do have good reason to believe that the car is also 167 RUR, the race car first used by Mr Clark, which could explain a little more why he was so attached to it.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: