60th Anniversary of the Launch of the Elan

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:28 am

The Classic Lotus Elan Register (CLER) is pleased to invite all Elan (Types 26, 36, 45 & 50) owners and enthusiasts to gather for a ‘Picnic at Hethel’ to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the launch of the Lotus Elan in October 1962.

By kind permission of Lotus Cars Ltd, we aim to have a simple free-to-enter gathering at Hethel on Sunday 25th September 2022. Come and park up at the home of Lotus, meet old friends and new, bring your own picnic too. Gates will be open from 0830 hours and visitors should be away from the site by 1700 hours.

Please note there will be no access to the factory or the test track. There will be portable conveniences bought in especially for the event, but there will be no trade stands or food outlets.

For full details please visit www.classiclotuselan.com

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:16 pm

Sounds a bit boring. Can't you organise a concert? Or perhaps a tombola?
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:17 am

AshleyPark wrote:Sounds a bit boring. Can't you organise a concert? Or perhaps a tombola?

Well I for one plan on being there! Hope to see many Elans at their birthplace...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:50 am

pharriso wrote:
AshleyPark wrote:Sounds a bit boring. Can't you organise a concert? Or perhaps a tombola?

Well I for one plan on being there! Hope to see many Elans at their birthplace...

Long way to come. Many of the Elans would have been built at Cheshunt?

A credit to the team putting this together, but I would have thought Lotus Group could have managed a bit better than just lend out their carpark to celebrate the car that they owe their existence and much of their reputation to (at least for their road cars).
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:01 pm

Andy8421 wrote:

thought Lotus Group could have managed a bit better than just lend out their carpark to celebrate the car that they owe their existence and much of their reputation to (at least for their road cars).

Quite sure Geely could care less.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:21 pm

I’m certain some of the top bods at Lotus would have put their weight behind this in a much more supportive manner but a certain git known for his laziness wouldn’t cooperate. Poor show! (Happy to name and shame with permission!)

Very well done to Tim for getting it off the ground. I hope you get a brilliant turnout. Do you have all the volunteers you need to help out?

Wish I could be there but a 5hr plus journey and then being shown to a non Elan car park 300 yards away wouldn’t work for me neither would portaloo’s unless they do disabled ones! :lol:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:19 am

I have posted a lengthy reply on the CLER thread, part of which was answering some points made about the 60th. So I feel it is worth repeating some of that here, as below.

I would also wish to assure you that Lotus have been supportive. Indeed, I made an initial approach to CEO Matt Windle this time last year via email, on a Sunday. Within a couple of hours I was surprised and delighted to receive a response from him indicating that he would be happy to host us to celebrate the 60th. I was then passed to the PR & Media department, who have been very busy in the intervening period with car launches and so forth. Our wee celebration must have appeared rather less significant to them than it does to us and so what I had hoped to be a meeting on a larger scale has been reduced to where we are today. I shall of course be inviting Matt Windle to join us at some stage during the day.

On a brighter note, since we went public, Richard Parramint at CTL has offered to do a group tour of their collection on the 25th. I currently have no more details from him, but he has said that it will be restricted in numbers. In addition, Guy Munday has kindly offered to get permission to lead factory tours, more of which will be available when we know. Finally, we have had an indication that CTL will be opening up their new classic stores for us on the day.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:06 am

According to Richard Parramint, the Classic Team Lotus tour will most likely take the form of a walk through tour for up to 50 people in return for a donation to a charity.
He is talking to Clive Chapman this week to firm things up and as soon as CLER have the details they will be published here and on the website. If you have registered on the website you will receive an update via email. I'm hoping we will know what's happening by this weekend.

The Lotus factory tours will also hopefully be going ahead, Guy Munday needs to obtain permission from management for this, unfortunately the person he needs to speak to is on leave, but should be back next week. Once again full details will be announced here and on the website.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:15 am

Please register and download your tickets for the picnic event
Please click the link
http://www.wixevents.com/viewEvent/v2/b7411375-dac7-474a-b1c9-36b388dc0256/9515db6a-3a50-4d3d-8228-3fe2f2d6ce5e

You can also register for the Classic Team Lotus tour, please note that validated tickets will be issued upon receipt of a £25 donation that must be made within 24 hours of registration.
Please click the link
http://www.wixevents.com/viewEvent/v2/b7411375-dac7-474a-b1c9-36b388dc0256/7b185d80-f34d-49a4-89bd-1971ff76eed6

Or visit the website www.classiclotuselan.com
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:34 am

Tim / Alan,

This looks to be a good event. I was originally a bit unimpressed with Group Lotus' participation (and I recall posting a comment that they really should do better), but it looks like they finally came through. The Classic Team Lotus participation also looks good, and after the Matty's purchase should be a golden opportunity for them to meet their new customers.

Congratulations to you and the team who have organised this. I won't be able to attend unfortunately, but I would have come if I had been free.

I don't know how old the picture is on your website of Lotus' main entrance, but if the sign still says 'Group Lotus PLC' - you might want to point out to Lotus they changed to 'Group Lotus Limited' in 2018.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:37 pm

Talking of CTL and taking over Matty’s parts business. Has anyone heard anything further than the original announcement?
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:58 pm

I would have very much hoped to make this event, but I'm travelling to Milan that weekend for my brother's birthday.

Hope it is a great occasion !

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:30 pm

The Hethel event sounds better that I first thought but unfortunately we are in France with the Elan at a show next month.

If anybody is feeling adventurous, Club Lotus France has a 60th event for Elan on the 17/18 September near Le Touquet, so not too far from Calais? +2's are invited as well! :D
The even includes a road run and naturally a gala dinner!

https://sorties.club-lotus.fr/uploads/sortie/description/6297ade3790f7_descriptif%2060%20ans%20v3.pdf

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:26 am

Here's a flyer for the picnic event, if anyone is attending shows or other events please help us make the picnic a success by printing a few off and placing on any Elans or other Lotus you see. (Please check with the event rules before handing out any flyers, some don't allow it).

Classic Lotus Elan Picnic Flyer.pdf
(542.32 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Picnic flyer.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 am

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan