New Member Hello

PostPost by: bramble111s » Fri May 13, 2022 5:11 pm

Hi All, new member but long time Lotus owner/admirer.
I've owned a 1999 Elise 111s, a GT3 Esprit, various Caterhams and other British cars.
I am now looking for an Elan.
I can't seem to direct message and my first previous post to this has not yet appeared.
I am posting here to intro myself but also try and engage messaging so I can continue my car hunt.
Any tips appreciated.
Best
Jim
bramble111s
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat May 14, 2022 8:43 am

Hello Jim
Welcome to the forum. Its the best place to start your Elan hunt as the wealth of knowledge and experience of the members is unsurpassable.
Firstly are you after a two seater Elan or a Plus 2. The budgets for a decent one do differ significantly.
I would say nice ones not needing much work start about £30K for Elans and about £25K for Plus 2. You can pick reasonable ones up for less but you need to be careful as you run the risk of needing a new chassis or bodywork done. Those run up big bills. Apart from engine rebuilds the general mechanics are not too expensive to sort out
Regards
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bramble111s » Sat May 14, 2022 9:58 am

Hi Clive,
I am open to either as both have merits. I suppose the wish would be a pistachio open car but frankly if the budget meets the car and its ready to drive I'd consider all comers.
I would prefer a car that has had chassis, donuts replaced with solid etc etc.
Usual things people look for.
I have trawled around the dealers but such mixed reviews on most of them.
Is the Tawny Bronze car here a previous forum member car? I see one was sold in 2017.
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1405857
I am afraid that this dealers online reviews are off putting.
Best
James
bramble111s
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat May 14, 2022 5:27 pm

If that's the sort of budget you have, then you will get yourself one of the best around as usually they have recently been restored.
I personally would expect a faultless car for that type of money:- Replacement chassis, engine and running gear rebuilt, full body restoration and everything else as new.
Usually the top priced ones are totally original spec which means they might not have the modern upgrades such as solid drive shafts. That tawny Sprint has original narrow radiator so more prone to overheating but a bigger S3 radiator can be bolted straight in if needed for a few hundred pounds, Solid shafts are about £500 and easily done so I would not discount any cars that don't have them (and you dont necessarily need them).
£35K should get you a really nice example that you can drive and enjoy and £45K will get you an absolute stunner.
As for Plus 2s. I dont think you would need to spend more than maybe £35K(if that) to get a real beauty.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun May 15, 2022 6:50 am

bramble111s wrote:Hi Clive,
I am open to either as both have merits. I suppose the wish would be a pistachio open car but frankly if the budget meets the car and its ready to drive I'd consider all comers.
I would prefer a car that has had chassis, donuts replaced with solid etc etc.
Usual things people look for.
I have trawled around the dealers but such mixed reviews on most of them.
Is the Tawny Bronze car here a previous forum member car? I see one was sold in 2017.
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1405857
I am afraid that this dealers online reviews are off putting.
Best
James

James,

I think there is a reason 'used car dealer' is a pejorative term. I am not sure any dealer has a shining reputation. Buyer beware, no matter who you buy from.

That tawny sprint looks very smart, but you would have thought they could have got the sidewinder stripe on straight. At least they seem to have painted the bottom of the sill black.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Sun May 22, 2022 12:36 pm

Sometimes even bad dealers catch a good car in their network of sources. I’ve learned to be skeptical but not dismiss anything as ultimately the inspection will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck and hope you find one.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bramble111s » Mon May 23, 2022 8:17 am

Thank you for the replies, good to hear some balance on this topic. I hope I have found a great one. Just waiting on mot and collection date! Fingers crossed.
bramble111s
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 pm

Welcome Jim.

I suspect that new members may not be able to send direct messages to others until they have made a certain number of forum posts. Could be wrong; usually am!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bramble111s » Thu May 26, 2022 7:22 am

I think you are correct. Appreciate the reply. Now working. Best
Jim
bramble111s
New-tral

Total Online: