Elan Sprint on Harry's Garage

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:48 am

andyj007 wrote:ive got my engine and gearbox out my car right now.. . so what gearbox mod do you think he did , im not sure i understand. as the lever drops right into the box as standard? might as well tweak it if i can .. i did find thsi on a search but im not sure its this https://kelvedonlotus.co.uk/product/qui ... lever-kit/

aj

Hi AJ
No need to fit an (expensive) quick shift on this gearbox. Just fit the early Lotus Elan gear lever without the rubber ‘anti sizzle’ bush.
Whilst quick shifts can improve the gear change, and in my experience with a Ford type 9 gearbox reduce frequency of mis-selection in hurried changes in competition, I’m told (by BGH) that they increase wear rate on the synchro baulk rings.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:11 am

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:46 am

I too thought it was an excellent video of the Elan. I enjoy Harry's low-key approach even though he has so much knowledge and experience. As regards the gear changing-assuming the box is in good condition using decent oil really makes the change slick. If you insist on sticking with the original, 60 year old recommendation you may have a slower shift. Modern lubricants are amazing!
If you want to feel smug about owning a fiberglass bodied car I suggest you watch Harry's excellent videos on the restoration of his Lancia Fulvia Zagato! :roll:
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Fri May 13, 2022 6:12 am

Hi, watching the video I noticed his rear view mirror is clamped to the windscreen tension bar (at about 11 minutes) does anyone know where I can get one of those? I have the original mirror but never have much luck getting them to stay stuck on
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 13, 2022 6:55 am

NTG999 wrote:Hi, watching the video I noticed his rear view mirror is clamped to the windscreen tension bar (at about 11 minutes) does anyone know where I can get one of those? I have the original mirror but never have much luck getting them to stay stuck on

Pretty sure it’s the same one I have on my car, it works really well and I like the gold colour. follow this link https://www.holden.co.uk/p/rod_mounted_ ... ndEALw_wcB

Just do a Google search for “rod mounted rear view mirror” and you will see a few other designs and colours.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri May 13, 2022 7:09 am

I think I have the same gold backed mirror as that, ex MGB. I didn`t pay that much for it though at the Tatton Park car show.
The windscreen rod which I bought from Sue Miller was a larger diameter that the mirror clamp was intended for but it was a simple job to adjust it.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 am

Perfect, it will match the bumpers!
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri May 13, 2022 8:13 am

That gold mirror is a pretty good match for the original. Both my S3s had/have them with a rubber capped bush between it and the windscreen to stop vibration. D

Spot Mirror.01.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Fri May 13, 2022 8:35 am

Talking of mirrors I noticed that Harry chooses to drive his Elan without the help of door mirrors. For a car that apparently gets a fair bit of use this surprised me. I intended to add mirrors to my restoration project Elan, but now I'm not so sure. What do others think, are door mirrors a necessity on today's roads?

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri May 13, 2022 8:41 am

Door mirrors - absolutely needed, especially on the continent when the left one is so useful for checking the blind spot before pulling out to overtake. I use a pair of bullet mirrors as shown below with flat glass. D

DSC04006.JPG and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Fri May 13, 2022 11:11 am

I had a non standard plastic bullet mirror which I removed when the body was painted, I was probably going to try it with just the interior mirror or are there any that fix/clip on to the door frame?
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Fri May 13, 2022 12:37 pm

If your UK suppliers are out of stock, I believe you can find one at R D Enterprises in the states. I got one last year and though a little tricky to get on right, it's great.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-13 073149.jpg and
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 13, 2022 7:04 pm

Door mirrors are really worthwhile items to add, they don’t look incorrect if you choose the Tex or Bullet style mirrors or other period 60’s 70’s mirrors.

One thing to consider is that the fixing position will differ on drivers side versus passenger side, mine differ by about 2 - 3 inches, this sounds totally wrong, but visually it’s irrelevant as you can only view one side of the car at a time :D

Get an assistant to hold the mirrors in place whilst you are sitting in the drivers seat and mark the position to fix, it will be obvious that the different fixing positions are required.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri May 13, 2022 7:21 pm

NTG999 wrote:I had a non standard plastic bullet mirror which I removed when the body was painted, I was probably going to try it with just the interior mirror or are there any that fix/clip on to the door frame?

I am in the same boat when I had my car repainted a few years ago. I’ve never been tempted to drill holes in it since !

I’ve tried a door frame mirror but it wouldn’t hold. I also don’t want anything that will damage the frame. If anyone can recommend a decent fitting item I would be interested.

Thanks
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:40 pm

NTG999 wrote:I had a non standard plastic bullet mirror which I removed when the body was painted, I was probably going to try it with just the interior mirror or are there any that fix/clip on to the door frame?

I just use the centre mirror.
The car is small enough and the visibility good enough ( road car) to not need the side mirrors , in my opinion.
In the race car I have Sebrings on each side and a very wide internal mirror. I always use the side mirror before turning in.

...because there's a high chance I'll be overtaken
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: