Elan S4 Coupe body mounting

PostPost by: matt1954 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi
I’m about to start drilling and tapping my new galvanised chassis for mounting the body. I dropped the body onto the chassis today and noticed that the bobbins which align against the front turrets are tapped. Checking the manual I see that these should be untapped holes and the threads should be in the top of the turrets. I checked my old chassis (which I removed donkey’s years ago) and sure enough the holes in the top of the turrets are untapped, just plain drilled holes. It seems the bolts must have been inserted from behind the shockers and screwed into the body bobbins. Has anyone else seen this.
matt1954
New-tral

PostPost by: Ianstuart » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 pm

My S4 had a new front end fitted and the bobbins were tapped. As this is definitely not correct, I drilled them out and then tapped the turrets in the normal way. I can’t imagine trying to get a bolt into a tapped bobbin in that critical location - among other things, how would you attach the earth wires and the bonnet support brackets?
Ianstuart
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:40 am

You need to fit Engine to check for clearance between Cam Cover and under Bonnet. Adjust clearance by fitting Shims along sides of Tunnel.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: