Camay Pink

Suit you sir.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyj007 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Gazum wrote:Andy, I’m a few miles south of Cambridge and have an S4/Sprint in Colorado Orange, let me know if you would like to come over and have a look at the car.

this would be awesome , thank you.. i will private message you to swap details and see if we can arrange a convenient time..

Kr

Andy
andyj007
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:23 pm

Andy,

My neighbour Kevin has an immaculate Elan Sprint in colorado orange and white. We live in Writtle just 2 miles west of Chelmsford. Kevin saw your post and has offered to show you his car, if you want to have a look.

Please indicate if you want to see it and I will pm you his mobile number.

Cheers,

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Pistachio is a colour that you wouldn’t pick from colour chart, but it somehow works very well on smaller cars

combined.jpg and

img_5440.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:45 pm

silverlink wrote:Hi Andy,

I did get some very interesting information from Tim Wilkes who informs me that his records state that only 63 Sprints were ever produced in Pistachio Green.
Cheers
Ian

Interesting - my 71 Sprint started life Pistachio over white but by the time I got it in 82 it had been resprayed metallic blue over white.
After a heavy crash I rebuilt it and went for prpper Lagoon Blue over white.
Perhaps I should have reverted to original as it's so rare.
Pistachio is a 'marmite' colour and I suspect that quite a few cars were changed in the 80s which would explain the scarcity until recently.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyj007 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:58 am

my car was actually regency red over white / gold from factory... its now french
blue..
regency according to the sprint site was a even less produced than pitsachio
orange even less so! ive narrowed down my preference to orange or green.. to be honest tho i love all the colours. and would be happy with either .. i think the brown looks especially cool in the photos and that may well have been my third choices.. Ive kindly been offered the chance to look at an local orange sprint shortly .. im looking forward to seeing in in the flesh!

taken from the sprint website
Popularity of Sprint Colours..

I have data on original factory colour for 804 Sprints. In order of popularity these are:

LO 5 Carnival Red 23%

LO 7 Lotus Yellow 18%

LO 12 Lagoon Blue 14%

LO 13 Pistachio Green 10%

LO 4 Cirrus White 9%

LO 11 Regency Red 8%

LO 14 Colorado Orange 7%

LO16 Tawny Brown 7%

The remaining 4% are non-Sprint colours, used on the S4/Sprints
andyj007
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 am

I'm a member of the 23% with a Carnival red Sprint, but I've always had a soft spot for mono Colorado cars.
Last edited by Mazzini on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:41 am

I own a Regency Red Elan Sprint, It was originally a mono car but was repainted by the previous owner in gold leaf trim.

It will soon go for a full body restoration and some of the colours mentioned here look great. However I am torn between a colour change and originality. I know a mono Regency Red Sprint is fairly rare.

As a complete departure from keeping it original I saw a new Porsche 911 Targa in Cherry Red metallic, very tempted to do the whole car in that. If I keep the car do I really care about originality, decisions??
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am

I've only ever seen one photo of a mono Regency dhc, I thought it looked pretty good, but I'd like to see one in the flesh.

My S2 was dark Jaguar BRG from 1965 till 2010, when I had it painted Tartan red, which was an early Elan and Elite colour, I don't regret the colour change for one minute.

If it were my call, I'd go mono Regency, but it's your car and you get to paint it whatever colour makes you happy :-)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm

I think a lot of peoples memory of Regency Red is a sun faded matt almost pink tinged colour. Modern paints are probably better in terms of gloss levels and fading.

There is a stunning pic of a mono Regency Red sprint somewhere online. I have never thought the gold leaf arrangement with the decals really looks good up close. So it will go mono and probably the originality route will win. Colorado Orange in mono looks great though.
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:00 pm

I think you're absolutely right about the old cellulose paint fading, however modern paints are far superior.

A good Gold Leaf paint job can look great, but there are so many colours at work at the same time - red, white, gold, black and a splash of chrome... When I get round to painting mine, I will paint it in the original colours, but I'd still really like a mono Colorado or Regency car.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:26 pm

@Roland
"It will soon go for a full body restoration and some of the colours mentioned here look great. However I am torn between a colour change and originality. I know a mono Regency Red Sprint is fairly rare."

It's your car and if you use it yourself and are keeping it then paint it whatever colour you like!

If it's a trophy car and you're going to sell then originalise it and console yourself with extra cash every time you look at it :)
Last edited by MarkDa on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Roland wrote:I think a lot of peoples memory of Regency Red is a sun faded matt almost pink tinged colour. Modern paints are probably better in terms of gloss levels and fading.

There is a stunning pic of a mono Regency Red sprint somewhere online.

Was this the car?
RegencyRed-Sprint_Lavenham2011.jpg and

RegencyRed-Sprint2_Lavenham2011.jpg and

I think it looks amazing...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:24 pm

+1 to that!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm

Yes that’s the car, looks great and you won’t see many around. Same original spec as mine
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: