Street driven 26R

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:37 am

But, isn`t that an S2 dashboard?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 pm

26/R/27 can be considered a S1.5 (full width dash but round rear lights ...)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanks Tim for the info on number 9. So I guess that was the car I was working on back in 1972-73. I am sorry I don't have any pictures. I was a poor college student at the time. Bought my Elan in spring of 1970 for $750....rebuilt the motor in my work study program at college. I had a great SLR camera given to me by my dad but could barely afford to eat on my $1.62 per hour work/study paycheck much less pay to get film developed. To put that into perspective, what my weekly paycheck was back then is just a little more than what I pay to fill up my tank on my SUV now.

The owner of the 26R gave me his hardtop, which to answer Franks question, had no headliner. It was real thin. I don't recall if it had a glass or plastic rear window, but it was a real 26R top. I know because it was so thin and my girl friends brother had a factory stock top and it was much thicker with a headliner. You could easily press in the top by just pushing gently down with your one finger. He also gave me his windows and window frames, dash and I think light vacuum pods but it may have had the glass covered headlights so I don't know where those pods I had came from. I know I sold the top to a guy in Pittsburgh PA in about 1980. I think but don't recall if I also sold him the dash and frames/windows.

We modified that Elan extensively. I changed/rewired the entire car. It had a very tall single hoop roll bar, the original engine was gone, replaced by maxed out twin cam. I seem to recall it put out about 185HP. Car was painted white with green stripe and white number circle on the side. I never drove it as I was just the electrical and suspension guy. Harold O'Day did all the rest of the work.

I understand the car is back with Jackie Oliver. That is nice but I wish I would have had the 5K back in 1980. I would still have the car now as right after that I got into the computer business and had a pretty good future coming my way.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:24 pm

I know you said no replicas but I am currently building a 26R s1 replica to exacting spec (basically the museum car but with an early dashboard). We will be using the car as a road/racer driving it to the odd hill climb as funds allow.
So to those who are interested and in the UK, look out for a medici blue 26R replica with black unvented wheels on a street near you 8)
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
1965 Elan S2 (Early 26R replica)
2001 Citroen Saxo Hill Climb Car
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:14 am

I've a little used 26R S2 from right at end of the run, and I have the sales record.

1) I realize most have been raced and as such have dog ring gear sets but I thought they came with a regular Lotus Ford Close Ratio street box initially form the factory. Am I wrong? I have the original box and it has 2,5 close ration with synchros. LSD fitted was a cam and pawl type think ZF

2) I also thought they were wet sump originally from the factory with dry sumps installed later in the vehicles life. Correct? No a few late S2 were delivered with Cosworth all steel dry sump engines, my car is one of those still with matching engine number fitted.

3) They did not come with a heater. My thoughts being that you don't need a heater in a race. Correct? My car has no heater.

4) I believe they were equipped with wipers because even in a race you might need wipers. Correct? yes

5) I also believe most or at least many were ordered with a hardtop. If so, did the hardtop have a headliner or was it just bare fiberglass? A headliner would have added weight. Bare fiberglass or headliner? headliners fitted to hardtop,

6) Did they have any sound deadner or was the body, floor, etc just bare fiberglass? My car had elephant hide only no felt underneath

7) On the same thought did they arrive with the rubber flooring I call Rhinoceros hide?

8) Were there any windshield washers? None on mine.

9) Were they equipped with fiberglass racing seats or standard S1 / S2 seats. I've seen both. Were the fiberglass racing seats an option from factory like asking for a different diff ratio? Fibreglass.

10) If there was no heater, was the an Intake grill in front of the windshield or just bare fiberglass with the indentation where a grille opening would have been made. Mine was not opened up.

11) Here is one of my favorite questions. Was the frame painted red oxide like a standard Elan or was it painted grey or some other color when it left the factory? I have the damaged original chassis and its black

12) What color was the block and oil pan painted when they left the factory and when they came back from either Cosworth or BRM? My block Cosworth Red, black pained cam cover, dry sump painted black.

13) Was there a spare wheel and tire when they were delivered? Do not know, suspect not as my car had differential oil cooler with pump in boot and long range tank fitted.

14) Did they come with a tool kit? No idea

15) Did that big alloy radiator have a fan? If so, was it electric, or a standard 2 blade, or ??? I've spoken to the man whole prepared mine from new and no fan fitted to my car.

16) Were the front upper and lower control arms black or some other color? My cars original wishbones are I think nickel or chrome plated, more likely nickel as chrome caused embrittlement.

17) What color were the rear lower A-arms? Nickel/chrome plated

Vaughan
Last edited by Vaughan on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks for all that info Vaughan.....really good to know....any pictures?

All the best

A
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for all that info Vaughan.....

Sorry, double post

A
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:07 am

1st-run-in-pits.jpg and
Brand new, and about to go out out for its first run

26r-shots-as-collected-3.jpg and
Note dry sump tank in passenger side footwell

26r-s2-40-shots-as-colelcted-2.jpg and
note differential oil cooler pump and cooler, long range fuel tank is not fitted, and dry sump system oil breather can under driver side headlight

67-jb-spoctober-67-5.jpg and
1967 ready for race at Surfers Paradise

dsc_0645.jpg and
Post restoration
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks Vaughan, what a stunning car...very very nice....

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:37 am

Tim, Vaughan,

Thank you for sharing that wonderful info! And Vaughan, how great is it to have owned that car for decades. Wow! I too realize that changes could have been made even while the car was being built. I have original letters of the original customer wanting to make changes and Lotus would be happy to do that for a nominal fee. But at least it's a start.

Thank you all so much.
Frank

Vaughan, why did you have to switch out the frame?
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:40 am

Vaughan wrote:
1st run in pits.jpg

26R Shots as collected #3.jpg

26R S2 40 Shots as colelcted #2.jpg

67-JB SPoctober 67 (5).jpg

DSC_0645.jpg

Great period photos of a beautiful car. I was half expecting somebody to say 'thanks not the correct steering wheel' lol.

I think I have a pair of those Armstrong dampers.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Frank,

The original frame was damaged when raced in late 60's, the body and frame were repaired and are unable to be separated, the car has been rebuilt with new shell and chassis.

The steering wheel was damage in the accident, it was restored by the original mechanic and co-driver of my car the for the owners 80th birthday, I took the recently restored 26R up to Queensland as a surprise for both of them!
p1000475.jpg and
Jim Bertram, original mechanic and co-driver of the 26R in 12 hour races

dsc_0053.jpg and
Bill Gates owner sitting in recently restored car on his 80th birthday

Cheers

V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 am

Wow, what an amazing history for a lovely car.
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 am

Thanks Peter,

I'm certainly fortunate that they are still about as they shared pictures and details of the preparation they did for the 12 ours races etc. All parts that were replaced along the way are still with the car other than the steering wheel and I've some of the original spares it was order with including pair of spare rear axle/hubs.

A final bit of trivia is it turned out when talking to Jim Bertram that he was best friends with my parents best man and maid of honour!

V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Wow, what a small world!
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
2004 Mini R52
Elan Peter