Sprint Development Car on a "H" ??

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm

That's unfortunate.
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 pm

AshleyPark wrote:That's unfortunate.

Snarky comment about one of the most original cars in the world - you?re going to fit in well around here!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:10 pm

Wasn't meant to be snarky at all, sorry if I offended you!
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:10 am

Don't worry about it Ashley; you really will be fine here. Don't let the curmudgeons discourage you.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 am

That?s how the number plate was mounted when I bought my S4 back in the early 80?s. I managed to break two of them within six months before changing to the numbers on the grill method.

The alternative - which I don?t seem to see too much these days - was a stick on reflective plate mounted on the nose near the badge. There was some discussion about the legality of that method - the numbers are closer to horizontal than vertical, but at least my local supermarket parking camera would see them, something it doesn?t with numbers on the grill.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:09 am

elanfan1 wrote:
AshleyPark wrote:That's unfortunate.

Snarky comment about one of the most original cars in the world - you?re going to fit in well around here!

Why thank you Steve. I have never understood why a number plate should attract so much attention when I post pictures of my car. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 am

The reason Elans registered after 1 Jan 73 had their front registration numbers removed from the grill onto a normal front mounted plate was because the law changed. It required that all cars had vertical reflective plates.

As Steve pointed out, I doubt there are more than a handful of Elan Sprints in as original condition as Jim's. Which is fortunate for us all since his car acts as a useful point of reference.

I believe that the law now allows all Elans to display the front registration numbers in the grill, if the owner so wishes, as well as allowing the use of silver/black plates too.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 pm

Yes, a really beautiful car Jim!

My point (without meaning to upset Steve!) was that I just thought it was rather a shame that the almost perfect aesthetics of the Elan design were very slightly diminished by having - by necessity - to have the plate in that position.

I'm hoping my car will one day approach the standard of yours. It's a 72 Sprint which my late father bought as a kit from new and only drove for 30,000 miles before laying it up in his garage in 1981 so it's all original but needs a bit of cleaning up!

Cheers

David
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:06 pm

David, please post photos of your car as is. I'm sure that the pictures will be really interesting and I mean that in a positive non snarky way :-). It's rare to find a one family owned car that was laid up when it was less than ten years old.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:15 pm

A lady near me bought one of the very last Sprints, Lagoon Blue over white, DHC. Hers came new from the Lotus Dealership with a reflective stick-on "M" registration on the bonnet.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm

I posted some pics on this thread:

lotus-chassis-f36/smiths-f465-heater-disassembly-t43690.html#p310020

I've since managed to get the body off so I can give the chassis a good clean up!
Attachments
img_4045.jpg and
img_4040.jpg and
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks David. I missed the photos in the heater post. If, and I suspect it is, the first time the body has been off since the car was built, then please post pictures of the chassis and running gear. Most cars have had a new chassis by now.

Looks like a great car and good luck with the re-fresh.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:10 pm

David I?m not upset at all let?s just put it down to an ?unfortunate? choice of words. I understand where you?re coming from as my own M reg Sprint sports numbers on the grille as that?s my personal preference.

Is that original paint on your car, if so it?s really well preserved and looks fabulous. If by any chance you are going to return it to the traditional style stripes then maybe give me a shout:

lotus-parts-f33/elan-sprint-stripes-sidewinders-across-the-pond-t17784-15.html

You should start your own refresh/restoration thread, they?re always popular and provide a record of what you?ve done all in one place.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi Steve

Yes the paintwork is original.Unfortunately there are one or two places where the paint has come completely off, I think due to the blankets that were covering the car becoming damp after the roof of the garage it was stored in starting to disintegrate! I'm not sure now whether it's possible to get just these damaged areas resprayed? The rest of it is great.

I have got the original Sprint decals, I guess my father decided never to put them on when he built the car and I have to say I rather like it without them. Sadly I never got the chance to discuss the car with him before he died as I have several other siblings and I don't think he wanted any of us to have it!

Once I start putting the car back together I'll start a new rebuild thread as you suggest.

Cheers,

David
Attachments
img_4116.jpg and
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:25 pm

AshleyPark wrote:Yes, a really beautiful car Jim!

My point (without meaning to upset Steve!) was that I just thought it was rather a shame that the almost perfect aesthetics of the Elan design were very slightly diminished by having - by necessity - to have the plate in that position.

I'm hoping my car will one day approach the standard of yours. It's a 72 Sprint which my late father bought as a kit from new and only drove for 30,000 miles before laying it up in his garage in 1981 so it's all original but needs a bit of cleaning up!

Cheers

David

Thanks David.

Looks like you have a great Elan to work with. It's a shame you have lost some paint on the wing as the rest of the bodywork looks to have stood up well. I love any Elan whether it's mint or tatty, numbers on the grill (I agree with where you are coming from), on a plate or stuck on the bonnet. They all reflect the wonderful period of the time. Look forward to seeing your car when it's done. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: