Elan S2 S/E Leaflet

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 am

Does this mean Bumpy will be on the road this summer?
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: glennh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 am

Hi Mark. That definitely looks like the colour of my car. When I got the car it came with a pot of touch up marked carnival, so thats what the nose has been painted with. Monaco Red it is. I'm still thinking to go for a black stripe. Its going into paint early April...after two and a half years wait!
glennh
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 am

I have been tempted to get my S3 S/E Coupe painted in Monaco for quite some time, and you've made me think seriously about it again!. As this year is it's 50th birthday, and the 41st year I've owned it, perhaps it's time.

Not sure about getting Bumpy on the road this year Rob, but I am slowly going through it and getting it all working again. Unfortunately there are many other distractions, like driving the other cars!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: glennh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am

Elanintheforest wrote:I have been tempted to get my S3 S/E Coupe painted in Monaco for quite some time, and you've made me think seriously about it again!. As this year is it's 50th birthday, and the 41st year I've owned it, perhaps it's time.

I've got plenty more pics I can post to tempt you further :D

I have decided to delete the wing mirrors when its painted. They have only been added recently (I found a pic of the car at Old Warden Show around 2010 without). Aside from being pretty useless to see anything, Imo they are too big for the car.
glennh
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Do pop some more up. The restoration looks to be very good indeed.

I agree that the period mirrors are pretty useless on Elans, and in fact I've yet to see any that work properly. We are so used to the huge things on modern cars that work pretty well, but the visibility in an Elan is good enough that a quick peek sideways is a lot safer. As an old biker that habit will always be with me.

Who did the restoration of the car?
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: glennh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

It was restored by a Land Rover engineer. He has done a good job I think, starting with a chassis purchased from Paul Matty. The shell is original aside from a new nose. Engine was seized but has a later replacement motor stamped 701M6015EA with correct cams. Everything works. When I got it, it just needed a good clean and service. Underneath is mint. It's done about 7000 miles since the rebuild. I'm looking forward to finally having it finished. What do you think about the stripe? Like you I love the colour.
Attachments
img_5518.jpg and
img_4704.jpg and
img_5725.jpg and
img_1625.jpg and
img_0770.jpg and
img_4653.jpg and
img_5512.jpg and
glennh
New-tral

PostPost by: glennh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 pm

The pics don't really tell how many hours I've really spent on it, underneath as well :D

I am also looking for a correct SE steering wheel. I know that's going to cost..
glennh
New-tral

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Glenhh, you keep asking about a stripe. Have one if you like but it`s definitely not an original feature.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 am

Well, Jim, that's not quite right! When the S2 S/E was launched, it had a centre stripe. Granted it was never a listed factory option as such, but the press photos of S2 Elans below show that it was a popular aftermarket option that was fitted by the factory on some cars. The trend only lasted a couple of years, and by 1968 they were few and far between.

I do like the stripe idea Glenn. and for me it would have to be the triple stripe (narrow / broad / narrow) and I think that white would look stunning with Monaco. Not bright white, but a more Old English white or cream colour. If you get them made up as decals / wraps, then they can be taken off easily if you get fed up with them. There is a chap on here, Adam (PastaPesto), who makes such things for race cars and road cars, and I'm sure he would be very happy to make you a set, and fit them as well. He's not too far from you either, in Tunbridge Wells or thereabouts.He is also restoring a very early S3 Coupe, in Monaco Red, and that has the ultra rare option of red interior as well.

As for the steering wheel, they do come up from time to time on ebay, but are around ?1000 in good condition. There is a chap called Len Chandler who has made reproductions of many of the Elan and Lotus Cortina wheel, and they look just right whilst being a lot stronger. It may be worth having a chat with him...

[email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank or call on 01276 856591.

He's in Chertsey so you could pop round to have a look at one.

Another option, which does look quite stunning, is a 26R reproduction wheel from Tony Thompson....with red leather if wanted!

http://shop.tonythompsonracing.co.uk/tt ... -409-p.asp

Mark
Attachments
zzelan-s2.jpg and
zfile0033.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 pm

But Glenhh`s car is an S3.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Well, Jim, that's not quite right! When the S2 S/E was launched, it had a centre stripe. Granted it was never a listed factory option as such......
Mark

Look at the first post in this thread... the factory flyer states "Optional stripe over the centre of the body"
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: glennh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Mark, thanks for your comments and useful info. I will investigate the steering wheel options. With regards to Jims comments, I see what your saying, but there does seem to be an overlap of options available. I agree with Mark, I think it would look great with a cream stripe,
glennh
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 pm

pharriso wrote:Look at the first post in this thread... the factory flyer states "Optional stripe over the centre of the body"

You're right Phil. I hadn't spotted that.

Jim, as the S3 Coupe was made contemporaneously with the S2 for a year or so, it looks right, and I wouldn't mind betting that a few came out of Cheshunt with the stripes.. In fact I think they look better on a Coupe than on a convertible.

Just remembered that the Corgi toys Elans in green and in yellow also had stripes! OK, they were S2s as well,
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: glennh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Definitely looks more correct on a FHC :-)
glennh
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: