Restoration of S2 Elan - EOK

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri May 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:You don't need seat belts if they've never been fitted, but if they have been fitted you are not allowed to remove them! I would check with your tester before presenting it.

Gov UK site doesn't help much but as I remember, all vehicles produced from the beggining of '65 had to have mounting points. After '68 all front seats had to have belts fitted and the '65 and after had to be retrofitted.

So, assuming that your C plate is of '65 manufacture, you will need seatbelts. Someone may prove my memory wrong, of course...

You could try and 'blag' it, I suppose....
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 08, 2015 3:31 pm

You're missing one large component, Geoff. What about the roof!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:40 pm

You really must pay closer attention Mark :roll: I did say that I was awaiting the hood which was ordered about 6 weeks ago :wink: Anyway it arrived today ( where IS that "hooray" smilie ) . It needs the Tenax fasteners etc fitting, but it looks good on putting it roughly in place. Dunno whether to fit it properly BEFORE the windscreen is in though, just in case the inevitable tension required flexes the windscreen frame too much and thus affects the final fit. Better to play safe I suppose :D
Unless you were referring to the hardtop of course :mrgreen:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 08, 2015 7:54 pm

I was indeed referring to the top that is hard. aka, the roof!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sat May 09, 2015 6:10 am

Geoff,

Mighty impressive! Congratulations! Let's hear how it drives.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:16 pm

Still waiting for the windscreen, which is likely to be another 10 days or so :evil: defo no chance of getting to Castle Combe with it now :evil: :evil: Sooo, I decided to give the hardtop a quick look. Sorting out the fixings and I thought I'd worked out how it was done, but I came across these which have got me stumped :?
SNV32750.JPG and

They seem vaguely familiar, but I can't see HOW they are used here. It could be that they're not even for this car as there were a lot of bits in the boxes that I haven't found a use for. Can anyone enlighten me as to what they are? ...and if they are for an S2 , how they are used?
Also can anyone tell me what trim ie a rubber finishing strip or something, that fits around the front and the rear edges? Thanks (in anticipation :D )
BTW, re Castle Combe, how do people meet up, ie make themselves known to others? Shall I wear a rose in my lapel and carry a folded copy of The Times :lol: Maybe a large sign that I could hold aloft :lol: Looking forward to putting a few faces to usernames.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 15, 2015 5:44 pm

image.jpg and

Geoff,
You won't miss me at Combe, I will be the bloke giving away doughnuts displayed on the bonnet of my Pistachio over White S4 special, come early or all the doughnuts will be gone!

I also look like my avatar if I'm wearing my Ray Bans and a striped shirt, otherwise I just look gormless as per this photo taken just now :shock:
image.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Or in the ginger wig and green trouser suit :wink: :lol:
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Fitted the new hood yesterday with the help of my pal John (thanks John :D ), quite daunting to start with, but turned out easier than first thought.
SNV32751.JPG and

SNV32753.JPG and

SNV32754.JPG and

Pleased with the fit, except for one bit on the cant rail between the second and third popper.on the main cross seam (see 3rd pic) Tried everything to pull it out, but can't get rid of the small excess. It needs a small dart about a couple of inches long, so a visit to my local trimmer may be in order as soon as the car is on the road and all other issues dealt with :roll:

On the theme of unidentified bits, I have this rubber trim/seal that initially I thought could be for the hardtop, but I'm sure now it isn't.
SNV32755.JPG and

It's about 10' long. Any ideas? Or is it meant for another car again. You can see those pesky bolt thingies too, which no-one has yet identified :roll: :mrgreen:
Weather looking mostly dry for Castle Combe on Sat, Whose going? Just me and Alan (Spyderfan)? Thanks for the pic Alan, I'll try and find one for me that wont scare folks too much :lol:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue May 19, 2015 9:10 pm

The only place the belt might fit is round the boot drain gutter but it isn't the same as mine.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue May 19, 2015 9:46 pm

I'll be there as well Geoff, and I'll bring the spare wheel if it's still wanted.

The seal, and other sundry bits, may well be off the Plus 2 that was also stored in the room with the S2. Apart from the shells, both cars were on the 3rd floor of a huge Victorian mansion, in what was the servant's quarters in the pointy bit in the photo below. Up a very narrow and steep staircase! Two engines in bits, two sets of ancillaries, two gearboxes, two sets of seats and interior trim, two sets of front hubs, two sets of rear uprights............I'm surprised I lived through the collection process!

Mark
Attachments
DSCF0021.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:06 pm

Yes please Mark, I do still want the spare wheel. No wonder you had difficulty separating the parts looking at where they came from! Do you want the bits back that don't belong to EOK? :lol: See you on Saturday all being well.
Meg, I have the boot seal and yes it's not the same.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed May 20, 2015 9:05 am

Geoffers71 wrote:Still waiting for the windscreen, which is likely to be another 10 days or so :evil: defo no chance of getting to Castle Combe with it now :evil: :evil: Sooo, I decided to give the hardtop a quick look. Sorting out the fixings and I thought I'd worked out how it was done, but I came across these which have got me stumped :?
SNV32750.JPG

They seem vaguely familiar, but I can't see HOW they are used here. It could be that they're not even for this car as there were a lot of bits in the boxes that I haven't found a use for. Can anyone enlighten me as to what they are? ...and if they are for an S2 , how they are used?
Also can anyone tell me what trim ie a rubber finishing strip or something, that fits around the front and the rear edges? Thanks (in anticipation :D )
BTW, re Castle Combe, how do people meet up, ie make themselves known to others? Shall I wear a rose in my lapel and carry a folded copy of The Times :lol: Maybe a large sign that I could hold aloft :lol: Looking forward to putting a few faces to usernames.

Geoff,
Those fasteners may be something to do with fixing the hard top. They don't look to be the originals, but who knows.

Ref Castle Combe, quite a lot of people from here make the trip, but for one reason or another very few of us meet up especially if we have booked sessions on track. Now you generally only get 10 - 15 minute sessions on track and I advise to do no more than 4 unless you don't care about brakes and tyres, but it takes a surprising amount of time to faff about with drivers briefings, noise testing and then making sure spinners or wheel nuts are tight, all the fluids are topped up and tyre pressures checked etc. In between all this excitement you need to refuel yourself, pit stop for the loos, and maybe you will have some spare time to see who's around that you know.
Consequently this year, I'm not doing any track sessions and I will arrive around 9am with Grumpy's doughnuts, we won't be going down the pub for lunch and are going to risk a picnic. Possibly we will join in the lunchtime parade, but other than that we will either be sitting by the car or on the grass bank watching the fun. One of our members (maulden7) Dave Melville (I think that's the name) has a very nicely sorted S2 in red with a silver hardtop that he terrorises and shames the Elises with, well worth a watch to see them jumping out of the way :lol:
So hopefully we will connect with a few more people this year and post it up on here for the guys who live too far away to have a look.

See you Saturday

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks Alan. I think I have all the original hardtop fixings, so I've come to the conclusion that these others are for something else.
I've been to CC about a dozen times or more over the last 30 odd years, with most of my Lotus' including S3, Sprint, +2, Europa and latterly my Elise (wish I still had them all :roll: ) but only ever did the parade laps. Loved watching others on track though.
As for meeting up with others, I'm not advocating this for Lotus members but the Scimitar OC have a lapel badge system showing their name (real and user) that helps to identify peeps that you may want to meet (or not :lol: ) Might be worth considering?
See you Saturday, but may be mid-morning before we arrive. :wink:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Checked with my local garage and the car does not need a windscreen for the MoT test, neither does it need seat belts due to its age. Soooo.......I bit the bullet and booked her in for Friday morning :shock: I suppose if it does fail I'll know exactly what I need to do to get it right. I'm always very very apprehensive on these occasions especially as this total rebuild is 100% down to me, so a collective prayer, fingers crossed and touching of wood from all please from 9am Friday onwards, if it fails I'll know you haven't been trying hard enough :lol: :mrgreen:
(Oh, I have said if it's raining I will have to postpone)
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: