Source for Elan +2 Factory Workshop Manual?

PostPost by: JGeezer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Newbie greetings to all! My 69 Elan +2 Federal is waiting for me to bring it home, but I immediately started looking for a factory workshop manual as it is a project car.

I see the (rather expensive) DeRoure manual and parts list from England - does anyone have a good current source for either (preferably domestic)?

Is the Tradebit download for real? http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/ ... air-manual

Thanks - and hello!

JGeezer
New Hartford, Connecticut

2003 Corvette "Me Precious"
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Welcome aboard Mr Geezer.

I had not seen the link to the electronic manual before, but have my doubts it is the factory Workshop Manual that you want. The factory Workshop Manuals are unique to each model. The link may be the Brooklands Books book that covers from the Elan S1 to the Plus 2 130/5, but really does not have the detail you need.

I bought my Lotus Elan +2 Workshop Manual and Lotus Elan +2 Service Notes and Parts List from here. Not sure how the pricing compares with the other source you are considering. They are hard bound reprints or copies, not the original binder type format. Payment and shipping worked out OK.

http://www.lotus-books.com/elan.html

Another source for various Lotus books our side of the pond is here:

http://www.totlanelit.com/

The proprietor is Foster Cooperstein. He is active in the Lotus Ltd club, and was at Orlando a few weeks ago. Not sure if he has the WSM, but worth a try. I bought my Brian Buckland restoration book from him, and it is also worth considering as a reference.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the advice! So I guess that I need both the "Lotus Elan +2 Service Notes and Parts List" and the Lotus Elan +2 Workshop Manual.

Another English suppiler, DeRoure, shows a pic of the original binder-type manual. I sent a note asking if that was the case, as I'd prefer it if so.

The adventure starts... :D
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 pm

I have located a copy of Brian Buckland?s Elan Restoration Manual, it sounds fabulous. Any advice on how much overlap that would be with the other manuals - would I still need both? I mean, I'm looking at over $500 for the three - I guess that's a good initiation to the Lotus Club, eh?

JGeezer
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:04 pm

The parts book is not essential but very helpful, and worth the dough. A couple of the on-line suppliers, notably RD Enterprises at rdent.com or Sports Car World at sportscarworld.com, have pretty complete representations of the parts exploded diagrams though.

I did my restoration without the benefit of the Buckland book, so I guess it is optional as well. Note it does not cover the Plus 2, just the Elan. Brian was in Orlando, and mentioned in his talk he has never worked on Plus 2`s. That said, his book is complementary to the WSM rather than a replacement, and a lot of the Elan stuff is similar on the Plus 2 so it is still a very good reference.

The WSM for your model is absolutely essential. Any short comings can be cleared up with questions here.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:09 pm

There is a manual here.....(no connection to seller)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261122570029? ... 1438.l2649
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: