LOG 32 Tentative Itinerary from Littleton CO to Orlando FL

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38 am

Ross,
Sounds like a great trip, similar route to my Gulf Coast meander last winter (at least the Coast part). I'll see you there, but my schedule and my Elan are not aligning for this trip. So I rushed out and bought another Lotus, can't have too many, right?
dc
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 am

Yo, Ross. How's it going?

My brother and I have been burning up Interstates, and are in Macon GA for the night. Will probably burn it in to Orlando tomorrow afternoon. Plus 2 running OK, but not liking the Ethanol in the gas here, as a bit of pinging under load. Can't report total mileage to date as I think the speedo cable broke, but I think it is about 2,800. Only other issue so far was a loose ground to a tail light.

Anyone know a good British car dude in FL that could assist with checking my timing?

See you at the bar on Friday!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Well I made it :D :D Not a single problem either. Other than the wind trying to rip my head off and a flash thunderstorm when I was only ten miles from the hotel parking garage and dry parking, it was just long long days. Some beautiful country and great seafood along the coast and lots of pine trees across Florida from the panhandle to past Ocala, and it was sunny all the way to the last ten miles. I have attached a few photos of significant stops. Coming into Dalhart, TX for Rob, Next to a field of windmills I referred to in West Texas near Snyder, the Elan next to a rather bigger truck on the ferry across Galveston Bay, at the Naval Museum of Flight in Pensacola (not to be confused with Pepsicola) and seeking shelter from the storm in the suburbs of Orlando at a local supermarket. The front two thirds of the car and the contents stayed dry because of this move. More to come.
Attachments
DSCN1430.JPG and
DSCN1440.JPG and
DSCN1467.JPG and
DSCN1484.JPG and
DSCN1485.JPG and
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 65sunbeam » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Glad you made it safely Ross! I hope that hurricane Sandy does not dump too much rain on Florida. Please keep us posted on the LOG and how many Elans made it to the event. Have fun, Eric
65sunbeam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Just a quick report to update you on "The Trip". I am safely at home after 4,198 miles without a single major issue. Who says Elans aren't capable of long trips :D :D

The LOG was great except that despite the celebration of the Elan 50th there were only three type 26 Elans there a series one, a series one and a half and my series two, so at least we had all the bases covered. Hurricane Sandy only brought wind of about 50 mph and no rain to speak of other than the deluge while I sat at the Orlando airport waiting for my wife's delayed flight to arrive. I was soaked inside the car just sitting. it seems to leak less when moving and that isn't saying much. :oops:

I will write up the trip later...for now I just wanted to say I made it home in four days from Orlando averaging over 450 miles per day despite constant wind. If not for the 3.54 axle ratio I would still be in Kansas :roll:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Glad to see you made it back safe and sound. It does not get much better than traveling in an Elan

Ann is a true treasure, you are a lucky man to spend your life with her. She really helped me a lot with the ballots.
Say HI to her for me.
I hope to bring my Spyder Elan to CT next year. It has been a long time since I took an extended trip in an Elan. Last time is when I drove my Elan back from Seattle in 2004. . We made it about 2000 miles and the waterpump gave way. Had to have the car flatbedded back from Kansas City to Buffalo. And then before that I think 1988 and Annapolis was the last time.

Well you and Ann keep in touch.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: