Building A Kit Elan In The 60s

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:11 pm

I've often wondered about the building of a kit Elan back in the day. How was it delivered? How much of a kit was it? How long did it take to do?

I've just come along this ditty from Motor magazine, April 30th 1966, and I'm chuffed to bits that it answers most of my questions!

I've cleaned up the pages as far as possible, but it's a bit wonky on the page because that's how it was printed.
Mark

Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Mark,

We "spoke" about this elsewhere...

Many thanks for sharing that....my curiosity has also been satisfied :)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Brilliant. I think I can remember drooling over that article ..???????????? years ago.. Still a great read too..

Thanks Mark... :wink:

Alex. 8)
Last edited by alexblack13 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 pm

so what was the copper washer in the plastic bag for?

Another challenge that only this forum could solve :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks for posting that Mark, a wonderful read.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Nice piece Mark, Kind of sweet that the engine number is written on the front of the engine. LP5467 was installed in unit number 5467, invoices 24 March 1966, matching numbers! How likely is that? one more Coupe Identified.

Thanks
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 am

Simply awesome!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for sharing.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:52 am

rgh0 wrote:so what was the copper washer in the plastic bag for?

Another challenge that only this forum could solve :D

cheers
Rohan

Th only one that comes to mind about that size is on the sump plug.
Which they wouldn't have removed, so the mystery remains.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 am

In tens of years of asking I've never been able to find out as much about building a kit as I have from this article. Even the guys I've come across who had one couldn't remember!

It's all due to the generosity of a guy called Jeff Fenton, who is a complete Lotus nut, and who has amassed a fantastic collection of lotus material over the past 40 years. I have been to see him three times now, and the last time was on Thursday last week to return a boot full of Lotus items after scanning them. He had another cubic yard of magazines ready for me, and this article was in one of those.

In amongst the stuff was a bunch of old Club Elite newsletters, when Miles Wilkins was running the show, and one of those has a reprint on building an Elite from a kit! Unfortunately it's poor copy, as a lot of club mags were in those days, but at least now I know the reference for it....I'll put it up here if anybody is interested, but as I said, it's poor copy.

I'll be sorting it all out over the coming months and will put items of interest up here. Most of the stuff is Lotus Cortina though, which will be going on my website....so you can still see it!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ebc699 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:21 am

Like Alex, I quite clearly remember reading (and drooling) over this article.
Odd comments have stuck in my mind, namely the "oilest oil" and "four people can't think as cheaply as one". The "Motor" staff were very entertaining writers back then.
The next instalment mentioned at the end appears in the "Lotus Elan Gold Portfolio" as the 12,000 mile report, with the headline:"probably the most reliable car I have ever owned and certainly the most enjoyable to drive"
Thanks for the posting Mark
Cheers,
Wylie
ebc699
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Great read even if it did take them a bit longer than Dr Hammerton :) :)

He started on Saturday morning and was driving it to the pub by Sunday lunchtime. :wink:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:08 pm

I did an Elite in 1961 and would be very interested in in any Elite stuff, still got one and a +2, these old mags are very interisting
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:17 am

69S4 wrote:Great read even if it did take them a bit longer than Dr Hammerton :) :)

He started on Saturday morning and was driving it to the pub by Sunday lunchtime. :wink:

Quite so Stuart. At least the good doctor wore a tie while doing the work. :wink:

Thanks for posting Mark. Excellent article. :)

http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/a_d_s.shtml

You and a few friends could create your own Lotus Elan in less than a week-end of simple constructive pleasure. I did." says Dr. Hammond.

The body-chassis unit arrived fully trimmed and painted with all electrical components, wiring, steering, brake pipes, etc. already assembled...

Placing the car on trestles we found that the assembly of the front and rear suspension was quite simple. In went the propeller shaft and drive shafts and it was time for lunch....

We fitted the engine and gearbox with the aid of a light-weight pulley and chain. Then in went the radiator, exhaust system and all the main connections were checked. Then it was time for dinner...

On Sunday morning we fitted the number plate, checked the tyre pressures, filled up with oil, petrol and water and were driving down to the local by opening time.

Lotus Cars (Sales) Limited, Norwich, Norfolk, NOR92W. Tel: Wymondham 3411.
Attachments
less than a week.jpg and
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:49 am

That's the one! OK it was Dr Hammond, not Hammerton; perhaps my memories could do with a bit of a pre-delivery inspection as well. :? :?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:15 pm

He forgot to mention connecting the steering column. 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I understand the UK Purchase Tax laws of that period, a car was only exempt from purchase tax if the purchaser obtained parts from various suppliers i.e was a true self build.

So, officially, you bought the body unit from Lotus cars and the engine from a separate firm (Racing Engines Ltd ??) so it is an amazing Chapman co-incidence if they both had the same serial number, heh,heh. :lol:

Full assembly instructions for a kit car would have made it liable for purchase tax, so they were not supplied, but by another curious coincidence 8) the last chapter of the service manual describes how to do a complete body change if you were unlucky enough to break yours.

I did hear a rumour that once you had built your car you took it to a Lotus agent to have it checked, which some of them did by dismantling it and re-assembling it to be absolutely sure. :D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: