early elan

PostPost by: gboudreaux » Mon May 09, 2011 4:11 am

I bought my sixth Lotus last sept, Elan 26/0045. Most of the work getting it ready to run has been undoing what other have done to it. I am getting ready to install a new wiring loom in it. It is a left hand drive car and if I replace the battery behind the right seat I understand the cable passes behind the lattice to emerge on the right firewall, thence to the solenoid. I have filled so far one hundred extra holes in the body but I have left the two one inch holes just below the Bourne body plate. I see them in some photos on the type 26 registry site and believe them to be original. What goes through them? Could the lower be for the oil pressure line and the upper the battery cable? I have the Brian Buckland book, a parts manual and the workshop manual but nothing shows this early car in enough detail for me to be sure. I would like to be as original as possible with in reason. Thanks for the group help in advance and I am sure there will be more questions.
gboudreaux
New-tral

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 pm

GB,

You didn't mention which shop manual and parts book you have. The later factory books, for all the way through S4 are pretty worthless for what you're trying to accomplish. You need the very early manual, which the binder is a little darker green and only about an inch thick. There are many differences between them. There were three parts books, one for the S1 only, one for S1, S2 and coupe and then the last version covering all models. You again really need the earlier ones. I see the early manual and middle version parts book come up on ebay every so often, but very rare is the S1 parts book. I have a photo-copy of it in my collection and originals of the others. I was inducted into this obsession in 1974, long before BB wrote his book and I survived on my own skill and general LBC knowledge, so I have never seen the BB book.

You also have not told us on which side of the Atlantic you reside. I'll be happy to help if you're over here in the colonies and I'm sure there will be many who would help on the other side. I have not seen our good friend Gary E Anderson visiting the site lately, but he would be a more valuable asset than I for the early cars, since my personal experience is primarily with S3s.

I'd be happy to let you borrow my S1 book to copy, if that would help.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue May 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Attachments
IMG_6789.jpg and
Chassis 26/0558 foot well
This Elan has a radio so that is the "other" battery looking cable. There is also wires for door switch that turns on dash lamp.
Last edited by Guest on Sun May 15, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue May 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Aha! A new alias? :wink:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gboudreaux » Wed May 11, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks for all the help. some of the pictures of the early cars show the two holes and it appears that the battery cable on left hand drive cars does come through one of them. I have the later shop manual that covers all series elans. and the parts book that covers series 1, 2 and coupe. I am in El Paso Tx. I have been involved with Lotus since the mid 70's having had a series 2 elan, the only car I have ever regretted selling, an early tc Europa,which I sold, a 74 Europa TC special which I have had for almost 30 years, a series one Esprit which I did not like and sold pretty fast, a plus 2s which I still have and am finished with the body work and almost ready to paint, this elan s1 which just sort of happened and I am trying to get running to drive while I finish the +2 and a series 3 elan that I financed for my son and is still in the shop. I have found the cars to be generally very reliable if they are put right in the first place. This elan has just had too many owners and not much remains as it should be, not many clues to help on some obscure stuff and it is so early no telling what was right anyway. All of your help is greatly appreciated. I would like to copy your early manual some time. Maybe we can talk at the Las Vegas LOG if you are attending or privately by phone some time.
gboudreaux
New-tral

Total Online: