It Lives!

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:13 am

For the first time since June 1998 my +2 came to life this weekend. Rebuilt engine and new battery installed and (after a little messing with timing) it started :D . 30 psi oil pressure at tick over - very gratifying - Head lights popped up - windows went up and down - great!
Very slightly more whine from the timing chain than I remember. I'm confident that I set the tensioner to give the half inch up and down movement between the cam sprockets so I'm not too worried. I have a new chain , new crank shaft sprocket and new black timing chain damper (?) so maybe they are bedding in or maybe I'm just remembering wrong from 1998.
I now have the tracking to set after installation of a new rack and the brakes to get a going over before its back in regular use.
No particular point to this post - just I was so pleased I thought I had to tell someone!
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:06 am

Congrats! Hope you weren't working on it the ENTIRE time! :D
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 am

It's great to hear that another Elan nears the highway again.
I'd crank it up, get it up to normal operating temprature, rev it up a little a few times and then turn it off.
The next day I'd take off the valve cover and measure that half inch again.
My chain noises are more of a whirr than a whine. Does the noise change when you rev the engine? Does pushing in the clutch change the sound?
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 am

Might be worth slacking the tensioner off slightly to see if the noise changes ...
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:59 am

Congrats Baggy.
Now the fun starts!
Are you quoting from Young Frankenstein by any chance?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 am

The chain on my +2 whines a bit. I have a new chain, tensioner sprocket and both camshaft sprockets, but I have not changed the crankshaft or jackshaft sprocket yet. Chain tension does not make much difference.

If you look on you-tube, you can find videos of twin cams revving - some of these also whine but the condition is unknown, of course.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 am

Congrats Baggy. Just go mine going earlier this summer as well. Big milestone.

Eric, can I ask regarding change in noise when putting in the clutch? This is exactly the issue I have. I was thinking I am getting excessive noise from the cam chain. When I put in the clutch (i.e. not connected to transmission), the noise is considerably less. Noise is also less when I rev engine.

Was starting to think I have an issue in the clutch, throw-out, or transmission. Are you meaning the cam chain noise can change with slight load of just the transmission in neutral, primarily at idle? Any help appreciated, as I really don't know how much noise would be excessive and having difficulty isolating the source of the noise, but definitely not sounding normal.

If tightening the cam chain tension, any thoughts on how much to tighten and then try it out? Say 1/4 turn and try?

thx
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks for all your good wishes. Will double check the chain tension as suggested. Will be checking out Braking section of the forums over the next few weeks. The brakes appear to be working (even the handbrake!) and I put down the fact that all is not siezed to having used silicon fluid all those years ago. The lights never were very keen to stay up during acceleration and recent reading here has given me some clues regarding actions in this department.
Thanks again
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:26 am

Hi Stu, I'll answer your pm, don't want to hijack, but I'll mention the clutch and listening thing here. I don't think pushing in the clutch has much effect on timing chain noise but the throwout bearing for the clutch, or the input bearing in the trans, can whine and/or whirr and change in sound as you push the pedal in and out, in neutral or in gear. You may not notice the noise when you rev because the engine is drowning it out.
I'd recommend a stethescope with the prod on the end to touch different parts of the engine while running. If your's and Baggy's noise is coming from the timing chain, you'll hear it more pronounced while touching the timing chain chest cover. Touching the tranny and clutch arm is a lot trickier...
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Folks,
Re my whine / whir . I'm sure mine is not transmission related. I havent had a chance yet to do the checks but I thought as it was getting discussed I should say its deffinately at the front of the engine and related to engine speed. If not the timing chain it could be the alternater , fan (still using the one on the water pump) or, its just occured to me the 12+ year old fan belt I had put on in my haste to get it running - it was a bit stiff! As I said its not at all alarming and could be any of the foregoing or just the sound of the engine running with the bonnet off which differed from memory.
All the best
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:19 am

A stethoscope will tell you if it's the alternator, or not.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:07 am

Take off the fan belt and run the engine briefly. That will eliminate the alternator and water pump. No more that 30 secs though.

Dave.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: