Elan Registry - New Features

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 am

Unibrain wrote: Try clicking on the one of the two cars near Johannesburg South Africa.

Hi Jim, both the cars near Jo'burg are mine but I have now imported them back into the U.K. (the S2 only about a month ago) so I will need to update my profile on your site, I am off back S.A. next week to escape the U.K. winter but will not have any Lotus cars to play with :(
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Jim,
Good to see the registry is enjoying a new lease of life.
A couple of points:
I can't see how to change my password on the "My Account" page.
The newer cars seem to be missing from the list- page 13 ends with a 1970 car, there are no 1971 cars and only one 72 car. What happened to all the Sprints (mine included)? :lol:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Pete,

That was my concern - until I worked it out. When you click on the YEAR, the list goes to year order, and when you click on FIRST NAME, it goes into first name alphabetical order - etc, etc, etc..

Very good, really. 8)
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:51 pm

elansprint71 wrote:I can't see how to change my password on the "My Account" page.

From the Help page
How to change your password
Select ?My Account? from the bar at the top of the page. Then select the icon with the pencil next to your name.

Is there a better way to describe it? Should I have the text in another location? I'm not a UI designer so any help is appreciated.
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:56 pm

bcmc33 wrote:Pete,

That was my concern - until I worked it out. When you click on the YEAR, the list goes to year order, and when you click on FIRST NAME, it goes into first name alphabetical order - etc, etc, etc..

Very good, really. 8)

The default is Sorted By: Type ascending, Chassis ascending, Series ascending

As you've seen the 1970+ cars get sorted into the middle because of the different, and inconsistent, format on the chassis numbers.

I think I'm going to change the order to Sorted By: Year ascending, Type ascending, Chassis ascending, Series ascending
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 pm

What a great job. I've just put one Elan incl pic on there so far. I have another 3 to go!
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 am

http://www.elanregistry.org/list_cars.php

Ok here's the link for those that don't know about it. A bit over a year ago (Oct 06, 2009 ) there were 232 Elan's in the registry.

elan-f14/jim-boone-unibrain-elan-registry-still-active-t19348.html

At the request of many folks, in December of last year Jim added the ability of his registry to accept the Plus 2 (type 50), It now has 446 as of today.

elan-plus-f13/elan-registry-plus-t19637.html

446 is a pretty good effort and with the talk recently of getting the archives opened up to us the owners it time to add your Elan or Plus2 if its not there yet. These are totally separate and different ideas but with over 8,000 Elan's and 5000 Plus2's, 446 is a piss poor representative of what is still around today. With prices on the rise for both models I should think that in the next year it will drag out of hibernation some more of each model. If the registry doesn't double in the next year I will be surprised so please do your part and let everyone know that one more has survived (in what ever condition). If you read this spend a couple minutes and look up the Unit number (engine too and body nubers too if you can) and please add it to Jim's Registry List.

Thanks You for taking the time to read this and add you Elan/Plus2

Gary E. Anderson
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:04 pm

I hadn't visited the registry for a long while, it's a great job !

I love the map feature. I see my friend Vassilis from Athens is in there. On his first trip outside Greece, he drove the Elan to the Nurburgring for the start of the 2010 MSA Euroclassic, completed the 1600 mile route, finishing in Landau, and then drove all the way back to Athens !
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks Jim, I've added my car (8908)

I hope the registry continues to grow, it is a valuable record and resource.

Just a thought .....how about speaking to Jeff about a "why not add your Elan to the registry" button on LotusElan.net?
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:13 pm

nebogipfel wrote:Thanks Jim, I've added my car (8908)

I hope the registry continues to grow, it is a valuable record and resource.

Just a thought .....how about speaking to Jeff about a "why not add your Elan to the registry" button on LotusElan.net?

I'll drop Jeff a note about adding a button.

As of this morning the stats show

Entries over time
There are 9 new entries in the last 15 days
There are 13 new entries in the last 30 days
There are 14 new entries in the last 45 days
There are 21 new entries in the last 90 days
There are 44 new entries in the last 180 days
There are 90 new entries in the last 365 days
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi Jim,
I have just tried to add my car details to the register but find I cannot because it falls outside your available year/model combinations. The car is an S4 DHC (not a Sprint) which was first registered in 1971. The chassis and engine numbers indicate an earlier production date but Lotus Archives confirm that the car did not leave the factory until early 1971 - reason unknown.
I note there are several other 1970 /1971 cars on the list with pre-1970 chassis numbers, how can I add mine ?

Many thanks.
Best regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:03 pm

oldelanman wrote:Hi Jim,
I have just tried to add my car details to the register but find I cannot because it falls outside your available year/model combinations. The car is an S4 DHC (not a Sprint) which was first registered in 1971. The chassis and engine numbers indicate an earlier production date but Lotus Archives confirm that the car did not leave the factory until early 1971 - reason unknown.
I note there are several other 1970 /1971 cars on the list with pre-1970 chassis numbers, how can I add mine ?

Many thanks.
Best regards,

The other records probably got in before the validation was in place. I've updated the 1971 validation to include the non-sprint cars. Please add the information regarding your check with the Lotus Archives to the entry for this car.

Keep the new entries coming. We are up to 458 cars

As of this morning the stats show

There are 10 new entries in the last 15 days
There are 15 new entries in the last 30 days
There are 16 new entries in the last 45 days
There are 21 new entries in the last 90 days
There are 46 new entries in the last 180 days
There are 91 new entries in the last 365 days
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:20 am

oldelanman wrote: The chassis and engine numbers indicate an earlier production date but Lotus Archives confirm that the car did not leave the factory until early 1971 - reason unknown.

By mid 1970 the Elan was not selling well and I suspect the S4 stocks were piling up in the Lotus new car park awaiting orders to come in from the dealers, just as the factory did in late 1972 with the Sprint. It is why Lotus converted a good 50 odd S4's to Sprint spec at the time (what I call the S4/Sprint). People ordering an Elan after the October 1970 announcement of the Sprint often as not got a Sprint if delivery was completed after early January 1971. I suppose there will have been some buyers who wanted a S4 and the dealers probably gave them a heavy discount to get rid of the stock before the Sprint arrived in the showrooms.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:26 pm

trw99 wrote:By mid 1970 the Elan was not selling well and I suspect the S4 stocks were piling up in the Lotus new car park awaiting orders to come in from the dealers, just as the factory did in late 1972 with the Sprint. It is why Lotus converted a good 50 odd S4's to Sprint spec at the time (what I call the S4/Sprint). People ordering an Elan after the October 1970 announcement of the Sprint often as not got a Sprint if delivery was completed after early January 1971. I suppose there will have been some buyers who wanted a S4 and the dealers probably gave them a heavy discount to get rid of the stock before the Sprint arrived in the showrooms.

Tim

Tim,

I've read your excellent website :wink: and your rationale for the S4/Sprint but I'm not really sure I get it.

All Sprints are Series 4 Elans and I can't really understand what the difference is between a retro fitted S4 (by the factory) or a car built from scratch as a Sprint.

If Lotus sold it as a Sprint, it's a Sprint.......the distinction is lost on me.

Ok, it possibly resulted in some cars (including the press road test cars) having bulge bonnets and dashboard ignition, but does it matter?

Sorry, Off topic :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:56 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
trw99 wrote:By mid 1970 the Elan was not selling well and I suspect the S4 stocks were piling up in the Lotus new car park awaiting orders to come in from the dealers, just as the factory did in late 1972 with the Sprint. It is why Lotus converted a good 50 odd S4's to Sprint spec at the time (what I call the S4/Sprint). People ordering an Elan after the October 1970 announcement of the Sprint often as not got a Sprint if delivery was completed after early January 1971. I suppose there will have been some buyers who wanted a S4 and the dealers probably gave them a heavy discount to get rid of the stock before the Sprint arrived in the showrooms.

Tim

Tim,

I've read your excellent website :wink: and your rationale for the S4/Sprint but I'm not really sure I get it.

All Sprints are Series 4 Elans and I can't really understand what the difference is between a retro fitted S4 (by the factory) or a car built from scratch as a Sprint.

If Lotus sold it as a Sprint, it's a Sprint.......the distinction is lost on me.

Ok, it possibly resulted in some cars (including the press road test cars) having bulge bonnets and dashboard ignition, but does it matter?

Sorry, Off topic :D

Hi John

Thank you for your kind words.

I would take issue with you about all Sprints being S4s. If that were so, Lotus would have marketed them as S4s, surely. The Sprint was an upgrade in the same way that say, a Mini Cooper was upgraded to Cooper S spec.

The main reasons for my anorakish distinction for the S4/Sprint is to provide guidelines to potential owners when some sellers try to pass their S4 off as a Sprint; to also provide some historical accuracy and to record for future Elan enthusiasts how their car originally left the factory.

Does it matter? As far as driving the car is concerned, nope, not a jot; all Elans are great to drive. As far as understanding the context in which the cars left the factory and what was going on there at the time, I would argue yep, it is of interest - though admittedly to just a few nerds like me!

Have a great New Year!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: