Historic Racing Eligibility

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:21 pm

Hi

Does anyone here know what not to do if one wants to keep ones rebuild eligible for historic events? I am thinking of rules that apply here in the UK.

The reason is that I ask is that I am building a plus 2 and I want to be able to take part in competitive historic events as well as standard track days etc.

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:49 am

Hello from USA, I haven't a clue as to rules but if you keep it as stock as possible the satisfaction gained from whooping all the folks that modify the heck outta whatever marque they race would be fun and also show what Lotus is all about. Especially with a +2, one of the most underated cars ever produced. I've got two little Elans and a +2 and will sheepishly say the +2 is easier to throw around than the two seaters. Go eat whatever you can on the track. Few cars, old or new, will keep up provided you can drive it near it's limits.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:47 pm

Contact the Historic Sports Car Club at Silverstone, they run the best Historic Championships in GB and will give you regulations for the various championships. A + 2 would probably run in the Seventies Road Sports Championship I would go to one of their race meetings and see what cars are taking part. I have raced with them for many years and cannot remember a +2
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bs982367 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:02 am

Especially with a +2, one of the most underated cars ever produced. I've got two little Elans and a +2 and will sheepishly say the +2 is easier to throw around than the two seaters. Go eat whatever you can on the track. Few cars, old or new, will keep up provided you can drive it near it's limits.

I AGREE WITH YOU BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WEIGHT ?
THIS CAR IS MUCH HEAVIER THAN THE BABY ELAN.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO REDUCE ITS WEIGHT (other seats, trim ...) IN ORDER TO GET THIS GAP IN WEIGHT NARROWER ?
MANY THANKS
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:22 pm

The +2 weighs about 400 pounds more I believe because proportionally it is a lot bigger. An overhead view and dimension calculation shows an almost 60% size increase but only about a 20% weight increase, not bad. All suspension arms and drivetrain components are longer, brakes are bigger, and then there's that big rear window. Also carpet carpet and more carpet. I'd chuck the electric windows and any other non essential electrics as discussed in our other thread. The headlights are another area of weight saving possiblities. I don't know totals, but a little here and a little there may add up to satisfy your requirements. What about modifying the engine? It could have a heckuva power to weight ratio with near perfect aerodynamics.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: