Motor and Transmission Mounts

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon May 22, 2023 8:04 pm

Good day/evening,

I am in process on putting my new to me S4 racecar back on the track. The previous owner perhaps did not have the dedication to work towards a fast reliable car. I seem to find lots of issues.

That said, I have slowly been replacing/upgrading most of the car. Recently installed the new "B" motor complete with new mag bell housing, aluminum gearbox case and tail housing. I installed a new diff with new cases.

As part of the process I bought TTR Race Engine Mounts. Since the car was provided to me without the engine installed, through trail and error I was able to get the motor installed with these motor mounts. Initially I had the longer of the two motor mounts on the carb side of the engine bay. In this configuration I could not fit the header. To fit the header, I had to put the longer of the two mounts on the exhaust side of the motor. All good or so I thought.

I also ordered a transmission mount from TTR, the Competition Gearbox Brace. Unfortunately, the holes on the frame will not align with the brace once the brace is attached to the transmission. I do have the tail housing bolted up to the differential and the diff is firmly attached via torque rods, et al..

What am I missing?
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Mon May 22, 2023 9:58 pm

When I built my race Elan had the same problem with the comp gearbox support, simply slotted the holes in the support to line up with the chassis captive nuts. Also used to tighten the gearbox support to chassis bolts first before tightening the support to the gearbox.
Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon May 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Makes complete sense. Probably an easy fix.

Cheers.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: