Magnesium Parts

PostPost by: baileyman » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:55 pm

I was looking in to how to treat my new mag cases and wheels since I was sure I would get trapped in the rain some time. My chemistry is poor, but I think I recall that there are ionic properties in soaps that are favorable for magnesium and especially in fabric softener. I thought at the time perhaps i would make up a sprayer with fabric softener in it and periodically spray things down. (Prolly would smell like a baby's butt!) Instead I have been using Boeshield, but it has not been adequately tested in local rains yet so I cannot report. I have found though that it will be good for me to go replace any stainless fittings touching mag cases to zinc, as the potential between them is lowered.

John
Last edited by baileyman on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:40 pm

there are a number of PhD thesis written on the topic as to protect magnesium without the use of chrome, but if you are not overly concerned the Dow19 solution or similar (anodization with chromic acid) may be a way to stabilize the added lightness process.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:17 am

vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:03 pm

Can anyone point me to where in the FIA app K and Elan homologation papers it states that magnesium parts can be used. I understand most racing Elans use magnesium in bellhousing/ gearbox , diff housing and rear uprights in order to get down to the min weight but I cannot find any reference to these items in the homologation papers.

regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:21 pm

batfish wrote:Can anyone point me to where in the FIA app K and Elan homologation papers it states that magnesium parts can be used. I understand most racing Elans use magnesium in bellhousing/ gearbox , diff housing and rear uprights in order to get down to the min weight but I cannot find any reference to these items in the homologation papers.

caution: not the gearbox casing anymore I understand...

see https://historicdb.fia.com/car/lotus-elan under "toolbox" then "engine & drivetrain"

Airbox may be used providing they meet the period specification.
For Period F, GTS cars, dry sumps are not permitted.
Both aluminium and magnesium materials are allowed for bell housing, tail shaft housing and differential housing.
High-capacity aluminium radiators may be used as well as header tank as period Homologation includes a high-capacity aluminium radiator and header tank.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Gearbox should be iron.
Diff is free, tail housing is free but TTR recommend Ali as Mg has trouble with the output seal
Bell is free but I used ali as I couldn't machine the Mg to accept the quick release gearbox furniture.
Airbox now has to be the original ' strangle No. 4' type ( don't put one on until after passport done) unless you are doing Masters , no one is likely to notice
Mg rear hub carriers and mg wheels
I ended up at 600Kg with an empty tank ( 80 litre tank)
In retrospect I would have used less kelvar reinforcement and a slightly lighter cage. There's probably a few Kgs in the tank too, but at £6k I thought I'd just get one!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Thanks for showing me where the info is, I had looked in the homologation docs but not the toolbox folder.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: