Tach and Guages

PostPost by: TWebb » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:54 pm

Quick question for you racers...

Recently took possession of an S4 racecar. Making a number of upgrades. Looking for all new gauges including a new tach. Ran Racetech in a race mini I had, but I seem to remember that the Racetech gauges failed often.

Any suggestions from the race folks?

H20 temp,
Oil temp,
Oil pressure, and
Tach.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Vintage Analog, modern analog or digital?
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 pm

Considering all options.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:35 am

I used an Elliot Tacho in a couple of my previous competition cars, inc an Elan. Very reliable, very accurate. Have also used Stack in the past, but very expensive now, and not sure whether they'd do a speedo, (or Elliot for that matter).
Sorry can't be of more help.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gav » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:06 pm

If your not to worried about appearance, I'd always go for stack. They do have a speedo but it doesn't look period.
They are dear but there is a reasonably solid second hand market and it takes a lot to break them.
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 pm

we ran Autometer for years without failure. Good selection of sizes and displays.

R Cranshaw
Attachments
IMG_20140404_100504_166.jpg and
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 pm

I agree about Racetech. My experience with them seemed to be a poor copy of Smiths. They didn't live long with the vibration.

The Stack tachs are very good, but as previous, a bit dear. They have an internal battery that goes dead and once that happens, its back to England for repair.

Autometer are good for analog. Stewart Warner sells vintage look gauges.

I have been using a SPA electronic tach in my Formula Ford for years. It has been very reliable and accurate. It includes programmable shift lights, they also have digital gauges that are also very reliable and accurate.

If you want a data logging system, consider an AIM system. I have an MXL Pista dash (hidden in the car) to allow for vintage appearance) connected to SmartyCam GP video. The datalogger automatically overlays the data to the video. The data helps me and my driving coach analyze where I'm leaving time on the table and where I'm doing well. Everything is configurable via laptop and their software. There is also a reasonable used market.

If you choose this path, I recommend Veracity Racing Data - Dave and Ellen Ferguson in Paso Robles, CA. Their before and after sale service is outstanding and you pay no more than anywhere else. https://veracitydata.com/

AIM's repair and warranty service is excellent and in the US.

PM me if you want more info about SPA or AIM.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:11 am

gav wrote:If your not to worried about appearance, I'd always go for stack. They do have a speedo but it doesn't look period.
They are dear but there is a reasonably solid second hand market and it takes a lot to break them.
Gavin

I have used Stack, and found them to be very reliable.

They do have a classic range, with analogue displays (digital stepper motor innards) that look pretty convincing. Just for example:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgg-st200c-08

Edit:

I had a further look, and as pointed out above, Stack do a fancy analogue / digital speedo with all sorts of facilities, but it doesn't seem to come in their 'classic' range. There is a website that focuses on aftermarket digital speedos - which seems to be a niche of a niche, but it does have some interesting products:

https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at Stack. I have used Autometer Sports Comp II in the past.

I ran a CDS data system in my FF1600. Nice having all of the gauges in a single display. I've used AIM and Motec DA in the past as well.

Again, thanks for the thoughts. I will continue with my research.
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lance54 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:21 am

Keep it simple and old school.

Smiths cable drive chronometric tachometer.

Smiths mechanical oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature.

18731F7F-E6F5-4C77-ACE9-AA6830DEEBC0.jpeg and

No electronics and no wires.
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: