David vs Goliath Lotus Elan vs Corvette Grand Sport Track Ba

PostPost by: pir26r » Mon May 04, 2020 6:46 pm

Really interesting video (~12min) with driver post race commentary of an epic battle between an Elan and a Corvette Grand Sport at Spa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8jthwhm5M
pir26r
New-tral

PostPost by: Chris-72sprint » Mon May 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Excellent - thanks for posting this :D
Chris-72sprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Tue May 05, 2020 10:07 am

Brilliant!
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:50 am

Great racing i wish I could build my Elan as light as that and that the Corvettes had their HP restrained as much as that. On a long straight in my class the Corvettes and other big V8's go past me as if I am standing still :( despite 180+ HP... their 600hp is somewhat overwhelming at above 200 kmh

On a tight track such as Winton here a little more chance against the Corvettes and Shelby Mustangs

Elan in front of 427 Corvettes.jpg and

Elan avoiding spinning cars Winton 2006.jpg and

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 am

If you look closely at the second photo you can see my nose hard down and left rear locking up and smoking as I turn left and brake hard to avoid the spinning cars .

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:21 am

Rohan,

Did all the heavy braking make the side stripe dip down at the front?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 am

Andy8421 wrote:Rohan,

Did all the heavy braking make the side stripe dip down at the front?

Ha Ha Ha The side stripe is horizontal when not braking but the original bad door fit puts a step in the line from the photo angle . :D In the end its a race car and I worry more about whats under the body :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm

rgh0 wrote:If you look closely at the second photo you can see my nose hard down and left rear locking up and smoking as I turn left and brake hard to avoid the spinning cars .

there seems to be a shiny spot just outside your rear left wheel on that second photo...

the other problem with big american cars is that they take up all the space more easily ...

When you pass them without traffic for a block pass do you always go for the inside for fear they'll slide or do you go either way ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 pm

That WAS fun to watch, canny drive and good commentary, the track map an additional bonus as I had walked the track after a GP a few years ago.
Jerry:
'62 S2 Elite | '69 S4 Elan FHC | '00 S1 Elise Sport 190
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:34 am

nmauduit wrote:
rgh0 wrote:If you look closely at the second photo you can see my nose hard down and left rear locking up and smoking as I turn left and brake hard to avoid the spinning cars .

there seems to be a shiny spot just outside your rear left wheel on that second photo...

the other problem with big american cars is that they take up all the space more easily ...

When you pass them without traffic for a block pass do you always go for the inside for fear they'll slide or do you go either way ?

I think the shiny spot is the smoke starting to come off my left rear wheel as it locks. Next to that is a black stripe from someone previously locking going into this corner.

Passing big wide American V8s in tight corners is an art I struggle to master. My friend in his S4 Seven is much better at it than me as he is a much better driver and the lighter Seven, wider track and his 20 extra Hp to around 200hp in a 1600 cc engine thats possible on the absolute development limit with the better exhaust and more radical cams possible in a lighter Seven makes it more doable also.

I just take the opportunities when presented and try to run under them when they go wide out of a corner, like I was doing in the photo. I dont like to do passing under brakes as its to unpredictable and I have seen to many people who try it come to grief. Going around the outside is hard in most corners as grip gets worse the wider you go. Every corner presents potential to pass depending on the race circumstances so no absolute answer

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Thu May 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Rohan
What weight do you have to run at?

Dave Hughes
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:40 pm

bigvalvehead wrote:Rohan
What weight do you have to run at?

Dave Hughes

No specific weight but the car is expected to be around its production weight and there are a limited list of allowed modifications that will affect weight away from the original production weight. Mine is 700 kg and I add a significant amount on top of that :lol:

No specific lightweight components are allowed as used by the 26R and all trim, electrics etc are required to be present and functional. The roll cage makes up for removing the spare tyre but in a FHC not much more can be done. Bumpers are allowed to be removed but in an Elan that saves you about 3 KG so i dont bother. Side and rear windows can have the glass replaced with polycarbonate and I have done that for the rear.

If you race a convertible you can remove the top and front screen and side windows so something like an MGB can actually legally shed about 100 kg after they remove all the glass and bumpers.

An S2 Elan would be able to race a lot lighter and be more competitive but at least I am much more comfortable if it rains :lol:

cheers
Rohan

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: persiflage » Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Another reminder why we love these little gems so much :D
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Tue May 12, 2020 4:20 pm

I salute you lot who have the drive, determination, skill and courage - in all senses - to do what you do so that those of us who have tried and happily failed can continue our armchair racing. :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: