26R S2 Chinese eye lamps (ok with FIA and on the road?)

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:42 am

I am steadily advancing with my 1965 S2 GTS project and once I have finished the rolling chassis I will look into body work more seriously and I would like to adopt the S2 style lamp cover that TTR call "chinese eye" but for me, is more oval / rugby ball shaped.

Having read a few old threads on 26R headlamps, I have noted that the main theme concerns the S1 lamp covers (perspex covers over 5 3/4 " (146mm) lamps, except for cars that went to the US. I am in France.

S2 lamps seem to be overlooked...and so here are my 3 questions:

A. Are the HTP acting on behalf of the FIA folks happy with this S2 set up (I will be asking my local HTP official at the next race meeting in early May, so any feedback would be useful)

B. What is the correct size for the S2 ? Is it also 5 3/4 " (146mm) or are they smaller (should I use motorbike or LHD XJ6 lamps)?

C. I plan to have the car road registered in France, land of the understanding technical tester. I'm fairly confident that I can solve the 500mm bulb level issue with a little ingenuity, but has anyone else gained first hand experience of the S2 26R getting through such a technical test ?

Many thanks for your thoughts!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 am

Hi there,

I still have the original headlamps on my 26R S2 which was one of last made, and has the chinese eye headlamps. I've never tried them out at night, they are high beam only, and set high so should work.

26r-s2-40-as-collected-amp-loading-for-first-race.jpg and
clearer picture of headlights when brand new

And post rebuild

pjs_4721.jpg and
note headlights, they are like inner headlight on MK11 Jag. I have the part numbers somwhere

I'll find the part number and add to this reply.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks Vaughan. Your car is a very precious time capsule.

The part number would be interesting but the actual size (5" or 5.75" ?) is the issue I am really getting at.

5.75" is easy if indeed it is the right size. If they should be 5", then I need to give it some thought (Fiat 500 lights?).

I plan to meet up with my local HTP inspector, who I met a long time ago and who is a reasonable fellow. I'd like to run through the build spec with him before I go much further.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm

HI,

5" from memory it took a long time for me to track down another pair as spares, if you find the right ones they have the chrome ring around them as you can see from the pictures.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

I think this is the part :

http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com/wft ... r-fog-lamp

It is the front fog lamp from the MK2 Jaguar also fitted to the Van den Plas 1300. According to the Holden (electrical supplier) website this is a 5 3/4" lamp (but I will check as this looks like a mistake to me).

The bulb is not dippable, but I will see if this can be done. It may be simpler for me just to fit a classical 5 3/4" lamp.
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi I found the details of the spare set of original headlights that I bought in 2016 the headlights are Lucas#462 Rear Mount Fog Lamp Jaguar,Morgan,MGTC/TD/TF.

If you search on google you will find that one of the versions is back mounted, most I found on ebay were ball mounted

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks Vaughan. I will check this out for size / fitting dippable bulbs.

Andrew
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: