Fitting race springs in turrets of 26R chassis

PostPost by: batfish » Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 pm

To fit race springs in the front turrets of a 26R chassis you have to enlarge the cut out in the top suspension pin within the turret to provide clearance for the increased diameter of race springs. Has anyone an opinion or photo of how much material it is safe to remove. The pin in a 26R chassis has a plate welded along its full length within the turret but I am concerned that although I have enlarged the cut out the spring is still hitting the pin.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 pm

Andy, I'll check today, but i do not recollect removing any material when I rebuilt my S2 26r with new TTR chassis, do you have correct height isolating rubbers? We used Eibach springs front and rear with older model TTR shocks.
I'm about to update front shocks.

Maybe worth checking the shock top pin to shock body height maybe this is shorter?

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue May 31, 2016 7:10 am

Hi V

Thanks for the reply. It was TTR who told me to enlarge the cut out to fit the spring, this was about 12 years ago and I think that since then 26r chassis (all made by Gartrac by the way) are built to accommodate the larger dia springs which also includes opening out the sides of the turret.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi Andy,

Correct both of the chassis I have purchased were made by Gartrac, the original chassis on my 26R was modified to allow springs to fit in the turret area in the 80's, the original Amrstongs which are with the car fit nicely in the new chassis.

the Gartrac chassis also has a stiffener down the side of the turrets where its relieved...

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi Andy.
Did you get a definitive answer at all on how much to safely scallop out
the center of the front upper wishbone pins, to enable the springs to pass freely with your TTR shocks.
I?m having the same problem with a pair of Kelvadon, rose-joint adjustables.
John "Freddie" Nelson, Berks UK
26/3212 - Rebuilding
S4-Sprint DHC - Now at a new home.....
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi John

No I didn't get a denotative answer. My shocks were also supplied by Kelvedon some time ago now, b no clear instruction at the time of how much material required to be or was safe to remove.
Maybe Gartrag can provide an answer as I undertaand new 26R chassis are now constructed to allow the larger front shocks.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi John

No I didn't get a denotative answer. My shocks were also supplied by Kelvedon some time ago now, no clear instruction at the time of how much material required to be or was safe to remove.
Maybe Gartrag can provide an answer as I understand new 26R chassis are now constructed to allow the larger front shocks.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Do you have a photo illustrating the issue?

I would guess you're trying to fit 2"1/4 internal diameter springs: if they are short enough, would an alloy spacer at the top help clearing the tight spot?

In case that's of any help, I have fitted 2.0" ID springs in my street elan, 9" long (around a koni adjustable retrofit setup) : I picked an intermediate strength (176 pound/inch) but I recall they also had stronger springs (in 9" 230, 308, 409 // and in 11" 325 and 350 )
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:51 am

Andy and nmauduit.
Thanks for the reply's. Couple of photos here may better show the problem.
Think I will have to just grind out as little as I can until it clears. Looks like its
not an awful lot, so hopefully it will only be a minimal reduction.
For info, this is an original, albeit heavily modded chassis, so assume has standard pins.

right-front-shock-spring-1.jpg and
right-front-shock-spring-2.jpg and
26/3212 - Rebuilding
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:22 pm

from the photo (assuming the bottom perch is close to be set : esp. that there is not too much negative camber), it seems that you have enough room to translate the spring down to resolve the issue without any grinding : you would need an alloy spacer at the top (that would bring the top of the spring below the pin, and lower the bottom perch by the same amount.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:52 pm

The top spacer may be a good but unfortunately to late for me as I have just had fixed spring platform installed to comply with FIA regs.
John
The pins on my 26R chassis have plates welded above and below to increase rigidity, does yours have both ?
I had a lot of trouble getting Kelvedon top adjustable wishbones to get clearance within the wheel rims, worth checking.

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi nmauduit. Thanks for the pointer. That rang a bell with me and I have some photos of Pat Thomas's car
(Kelvadon) that I took some time ago. Looks like they went the same way with an Alloy Spacer.

Andy. Think I might give the spacer a try, I'll get some knocked up and let you know how it goes.
Ultimately, will need to go "Non-Adjustable" for FIA rules, but recon on running the car in CSCC to start with,
as they are not that fussy. Gives me a chance to save up for the Full-Monty FIA rules, and as they
seem to change them "Willy-Nilly", I won't again be forced to re-buy parts that suddenly don't comply !

Also. I'll do a few photos of my Turrets for you, and wheel fit. I have heard that the upper adjustable's can be tight. I'm running 5 1/2 in wheels, and don't have a problem. Pat did tell me that it may be necessary to "Scallope" the top edges of the wishbones if they are close to your wheel, not a problem for me though.... Like I need another problem !.
Attachments
pat-t-car-front-suspension-2.jpg and
pat-t-car-front-suspension-1.jpg and
26/3212 - Rebuilding
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Arghh

I wish I had known about that one earlier. One day I might write a book on how not to build an Elan race car

Regards

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Let me know if you do, Andy, I'll be able to write a few chapters for you!

This is something I don't think I encountered but I'll be having a look the next time the wheels are off.
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Andy. Couple of photos of my wheel-fit and the upper wishbone clearance.
Not a problem on my 5 1/2 " wheels. (Yet........)
Attachments
right-front-upper-wishbones-2.jpg and
right-front-upper-wishbones-3.jpg and
right-front-upper-wishbones-4.jpg and
26/3212 - Rebuilding
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: