New - VINTAGE RACING PODCAST

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:26 am

Greetings,
Part 2 of my conversation with Howden Ganley was released this morning. Please check it out.
Cheers,
Greg

http://vintageracingpodcast.com
[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Hello,
Joining me for my latest episode released Thursday, May 26, is Rick Parent, National Technical Director of SVRA. The Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival is just around the corner at Sonoma Raceway ? June 2-5, 2016. The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association is celebrating Formula Fords this year, one of the most ubiquitous and affordable classes of cars. Rick discusses the upcoming event, recent rule changes for Formula Ford within the organization, and the expected high turnout of participants this year. Rick also shares his long-time background with race cars and fabrication.
Cheers,
Greg

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:02 am

Jerry Kehoe, Northern California club and vintage racer, joins me for part 1 of a 2-part conversation. Jerry talks about his start in club racing in 1971, his cars, including a Lotus 51, Ralt, Brabham, and a March 87b with modifications, that he has raced now for 10 years. Jerry talks about learning how to set up a race car, learning how to nickel-bronze weld, and racing at different tracks around the U.S. Jerry also talks about taking pride in one?s race car preparation, and shares his thoughts on Formula Fords, Sports 2000 race cars, and the rising costs of vintage racing. Look for photos of Jerry?s race cars in the Photo Gallery page, with more to come with Part 2.

Visit us at http://vintageracingpodcast.com
and check out www.apexspeed.com

Cheers,
Greg

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Join Greg and Dave at Dave's shop for another fast-paced and topic-filled conversation as they talk about the upcoming at that time Elkhart Lake vintage races, the cars from the shop being raced that weekend, and the famous bratwurst! Dave and Greg also discuss the changing economics of vintage racing - the cars that are getting more expensive, and the ones that are still affordable for the racer without unlimited funds. Greg asks Dave about the June SVRA event held at Sonoma Raceway, where Ethan won the Formula Ford class, and they talk about the upcoming Monterey Motorsports Reunion event, and the interesting cars from the shop that will be racing there. Switching gears, Dave talks about how to prevent and cure engine oil leaks in Alfa Romeo engines, and they discuss potential rule changes in the Formula Atlantic category to allow later cars, and the effects that would have.
Check us out at http://vintageracingpodcast.com
[email protected]" target="_blank
Last edited by elangtv2000 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 am

I love listening to the podcasts and the knowledge and passion about racing of the guys you are talking to
Keep them coming

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Rohan,
Thank you very much - I appreciate the kind words.
I am going to try again to get Skype to work for me - I'd love to get you on the podcast. Hopefully it will work better for me than it has in the past and we can put on a great episode.
Cheers,
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:16 pm

Greetings,

In this conversation, I chat by phone with Ethan Shippert, recently returned from the race meet at Elkhart Lake, where he drove previous guest Phil Reilly's Brabham BT44 Formula One car, and provided track support services for a client's Porsche. Ethan also recounts the recent SVRA Formula Ford and Club Ford celebration at Sonoma Raceway in June, where he raced a Crossle, and talks about some major maintenance and restoration on the car. Ethan also talks about tires, different FF cars, the talents of another wonderful previous Vintage Racing Podcast guest, Dan Marvin, and much, much more.

You can find this and all of our conversations through our Episodes page at http://vintageracingpodcast.com, or on iTunes. If you haven't already, check out the two video slideshows I recently released.

And check out: www.apexspeed.com

Cheers,

Greg
[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Just released a new episode - please check it out.

This time around, I start off with some email and forum comments from our listeners. For our conversation, Dave and I met at the shop for a short run-down on the recent Monterey Historic Motorsports Reunion, for which Dave and Veloce Motors West had provided preparation and track services for 14 customer cars. As usual, we meander off on some interesting side roads, including a discussion about Hart racing motor design and evolution, and the rare and special Alfa Romeo GTAM motor with its unique monosleeve construction. It?s a brief conversation, because Dave was getting ready to head out of the shop, but a fun one.

Check out the new shop photos in the Photo Gallery, showing some of the current projects underway at Veloce Motors West.

Cheers,

Greg

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

This time around, I talk with Henk Boverhuis, lead technical inspector for the CSRG, and tech inspector for other vintage race organizations. Henk has a long history of working on race cars, going back to his days with the Griswold Company, his own shops in Berkeley, a long stint at Fantasy Junction, and years of working on clients? race cars. Henk tells us about his own racing days, and some of his favorite race cars. Henk and I discuss the upcoming CSRG Charity Challenge race meet at Sonoma Raceway, September 30 through October 2, 2016, with a focus on the technical inspection process, the checklist for racers to fill out, how to save time and avoid delays, and key safety concerns to be addressed during the tech inspections.

Thanks for joining us!

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:08 pm

We're back! We've had a work-induced delay in bringing you great conversations with interesting and entertaining participants in vintage racing and vintage car collecting. In this episode, Greg talks with CSRG President and vintage racer Locke de Bretteville. Locke tells us about his start in club racing back in the 1970s, working at Huffaker Engineering, lists some of his race cars and a LOT of old friends and colleagues in the racing field. Part 1 brings Locke's story up to the 1990s, and Part 2 will cover lots more, up to today, with a great story about how he found his current racecar, a 1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDB2. Since Part 1 is coming out just 5 days before the final race of the 2016 season for CSRG, Locke tells listeners all about the upcoming race at Thunderhill.

Please visit our website at: http://vintageracingpodcast.com

and visit: www.apexspeed.com
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:57 pm

Forgot to mention that Part 2 with Locke de Bretteville was posted a week ago.
Please check it out:
Cheers,
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:28 am

If you haven't stopped by to listen lately, check out my latest conversation - this time with Shawn Thomas, master mechanic responsible for maintaining and restoring the significant vintage car collection of Tom Price, as well as owner of a dirt track sprint car race team, and vintage car collector himself. Shawn shares his early years as a youngster learning how to work on cars and all thing mechanical, building his first race engine at age 12, a Ford 289 for his amateur race car driver dad, his long association with dirt track cars, his own Bristol car collection, and some of the iconic and remarkable cars that he works on for Tom Price.

Cheers,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Happy Holidays, and best wishes for a great New Year!

Please enjoy our latest slideshow and commentary episode to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Greg thanks his friend Dave, and all of his guests over the past year, while some great images of vintage race cars, cool race motors, and Vintage Racing Podcast guests fill the screen. You'll also meet Cozzie, Greg's recent rescue dog, named after, of course, Cosworth!

Working hard to bring you more great conversations with racers, owners, mechanics, builders, and collectors, so please stay tuned, and visit our website at: http://vintageracingpodcast.com
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Welcome to this episode of Vintage Racing Podcast, featuring Jeff Kline, a hugely talented and successful race car driver who started in club racing in the 1960?s with a Lotus Super Seven, and then quickly established himself as a skillful, winning racecar driver, which led to sponsorships and driving roles with factory teams in a wide range of racing series. Jeff continues to drive a bunch of different race cars in vintage racing series around the country and at iconic tracks around the world.

Some of the roughly 100 racecars Jeff has driven include Mazdas, Porsches, Alfa Romeos, Jaguars, Ginetta G4, Ford GT40 Mk IV, IMSA Spice Cars, and Ferraris. Jeff has driven in IMSA Camel Lights, IMSA Camel GTP, 24 Hour of LeMans, Long Beach Grand Prix, and at Riverside, Road America, and more. Jeff is a 2X class winner at the Daytona 24 Hour endurance race and 3X class winner at the Sebring 12 Hour race. As a vintage racer, Jeff has raced at Goodwood and Monaco, and other iconic tracks.

This episode presents part 1 of a 2-part conversation, where we learn about Jeff?s early years in Club racing with friends, leading quickly to his factory racing sponsorships, all with numerous wins. There?s lots more history and stories by Jeff in both part of our conversation, so please enjoy this episode, and look for Part 2 with Jeff Kline in the next several days.

Also, please head to our web site at http://vintageracingpodcast.com and navigate to the Photo Gallery page for a look at several great photos of some of the cars Jeff has raced over the past decades.

If you would like to submit photos of your vintage race or street cars to be included on our web site, would like to submit comments, or suggest someone who would like to be a guest on the Vintage Racing Podcast, please email me at [email protected] or contact me through the web site. If you are enjoying these podcast conversations, please tell your friends, racing buddies, and anyone you know who you think would also dig them!

Cheers,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Just released - Part 2 with Jeff Kline!

If you didn?t catch Part 1, please start there before listening to this episode. Part 1, by the way, is the most-downloaded episode of Vintage Racing Podcast since it began in December of 2015. I want to thank all of you listeners for following the podcast, and for telling your friends and colleagues about it. If you haven?t yet, please do so. Producing this podcast does cost me money and takes time, so it is worth continuing only if interest continues to spread to others who love vintage racing, race cars, and vintage street cars, and want to learn more about them and the folks who race, build, maintain and love them.

When Jeff and I left off last time, I had just asked him which three cars he has enjoyed racing the most during his career, and why. I think you?ll find the answers interesting, because each was chosen for different reasons. Not surprising, really, since as we learn, Jeff?s versatility and ability to quickly adapt have served him well throughout his racing life. I ask Jeff to help listeners better understand his versatility with cars, tracks, and short vs. endurance races. Jeff shares some of his experiences while racing pre-war cars like an Alfa Romeo 12C-37 at Monaco.

We move on to Jeff?s interest in vintage street cars, with the two of us comparing notes on cars we?ve mutually owned, before moving on to some of Jeff?s favorite race tracks, and what about them he likes so much.

We also talk about Ray Thompson?s Ginetta G4 that Jeff frequently races, along with a discussion of some inconsistencies of eligibility rules in some clubs, vintage racing on a track with a wide range of driver?s skill, from new amateur to ex-professionals, and how he handles that.

Finally, we wind our way back to comparing notes on our own vintage and contemporary sports and performance cars, and a short list of Jeff?s anticipated race schedule for 2017. It?s the perfect second half of what has been a fun, informative conversation so far, so please sit back (or get on your bike as Jeff does), and listen to Part 2 with Jeff Kline.

Cheers,

Greg

elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: