New - VINTAGE RACING PODCAST

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:07 am

Fred Talmadge wrote:Any chance we can listen/download without Itunes?

Hi Fred,

Yes, indeed. You can go to our web site, click on the Episodes page, then select the first link, which takes you to our media host.

For convenience:
http://www.vintageracingpodcast.libsyn.com/

Enjoy,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 am

Thank you, Ken. I agree - Phil is one of the many truly skilled masters of the trade that we have in our area. Phil was actually featured in an issue of Octane in the Gearbox section, and has had some really nice articles written about him and the other craftsmen in his shop, and they all deserve recognition.

Cheers,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Our new episode was published this morning. Dave Vegher and I met at his shop to discuss, using a Lotus Twin Cam as an example, how he approaches a performance street build vs. a race engine build, and how to plan your engine build, either doing it yourself, or having it built by a professional. Lots of great information here from a master engine builder, so please head to our web site, and download the new episode there or from iTunes.

Cheers,

Greg Tatarian

[email protected]
http://vintageracingpodcast.com
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1963Turnerjohn » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Greg,
I've been listening each day into the office and you and Dave/co-hosts are doing a very good job! The content certainly fills a void for us historic car enthusiasts. Look forward to the next podcast

John
1963Turnerjohn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:16 am

Hey, thank you very much, John! There are some amazing talents out there that deserve to share their stories.
I just recorded a wonderful conversation with Dan Marvin, master machinist and very skilled and serious racer for 40 years. That will be a two-part episode coming soon. Working on some more great interview subjects to be announced later.
Cheers,
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:13 pm

elangtv2000 wrote:Our new episode was published this morning. Dave Vegher and I met at his shop to discuss, using a Lotus Twin Cam as an example, how he approaches a performance street build vs. a race engine build, and how to plan your engine build, either doing it yourself, or having it built by a professional. Lots of great information here from a master engine builder, so please head to our web site, and download the new episode there or from iTunes.

Cheers,

Greg Tatarian

[email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank

Thanks for this recording Greg. It's the next best thing to being there. It was interesting that Dave has experienced valve train and camshaft problems due to the lower amounts of zinc and phosphorous in some oils, even though the changes in oil have been covered on this website in previous posts.

He mentioned that the 26R had a different oil pan. It sounds like it was more of a box shape, but I've never seen one. You don't know of a picture of one do you?

Thanks, Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi Bob,
Dave was not referring to recent problems due to low zinc and phosphorous, but when the problem first started to occur. I guess when you've been doing a particular job for 45 years, timelines get compressed during conversations :D .
I don't have a picture of a 26R oil pan, but will ask Dave if he has one, or I'll try to get some photos at the track next weekend.
Thanks Bob!
Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Greg,

I meant to say that it shouldn't have been surprising to me that Dave experienced those oil related problems, because I have read about them. His knowledge about TC engines is way beyond mine.

Thanks for checking on a 26R sump picture! I'm sure I've never seen one.

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Back from the CSRG David Love Memorial Vintage Races, and I had a great time. Lots of work my first time around as a safety technical inspector, as there were over 250 cars entered, I was told. One of those entrants was my guest for an upcoming 2-part conversation - Dan Marvin, master machinist and mechanic with Jon Norman Racing in Berkeley, California, and championship-winning race driver.

Dan spoke by phone with me from the shop just a few days before the races. I'll tell you more about Dan when I post the first episode.

I'm busy editing and mixing the first part, so please stay tuned for an outstanding conversation with a special talent and great guy, Dan Marvin.

Cheers,

Greg

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:05 am

lotocone wrote:Hi Greg,

Thanks for checking on a 26R sump picture! I'm sure I've never seen one.

Bob

Hi Bob,

There was one 26R at the track, but I was so busy I never had a chance to get under it for a photo, and I wasn't the tech inspector for that car. I'll look through my files again.

Cheers,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:46 pm

I released a short episode yesterday, and Part 1 of my conversation with Dan Marvin this morning.
Please go to our web site, subscribe to our RSS blog feed, and subscribe to the podcast episodes on iTunes. Oh, and tell a friend!
Cheers,
Greg

Http://vintageracingpodcast.com
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Part 2 of my conversation with Dan Marvin has been released - please check it out.

Cheers,

Greg

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Please stop by our web site and check out the latest episode - Dave and Ethan talk about race tracks, and racing in rain.
Cheers,
Greg

[email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sun May 08, 2016 4:31 am

After uploading our latest episode, work took me out of town, so I didn't notice that the episode was truncated by almost half its length! Clark A. Lance has just notified me of the problem, so I've re-uploaded the complete episode. Please give it a listen for more fun with Dave and Ethan, and thank you, Clark!

Greg

elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm

New Episode...

Joining me for Part 1 of a two-part conversation is Howden Ganley, one of four New Zealand racing drivers who have scored World Championship points. Howden competed in 41 World Championship Formula One Grand Prix races, earning 10 championship points, and stood on the podium at LeMans, and in Can-Am races.

Howden was not only a skilled driver in many different cars and race series ? he was a skilled mechanic, engineer, race car developer, businessman, husband and partner to his wife Judy, honoree of the Howden Ganley Formula 5000 Festival in New Zealand in 2015, member of the board of the British Racing Driver?s Club and Road Racing Driver?s Club, Vice President of the Grand Prix Driver?s Club, and honoree on New Zealand?s Wall of Fame in 2013.

Check out Howden Ganley?s book ? The Road to Monaco ? 448 pages of history, stories of racing and race car development, his friendships and racing teams, packed with photographs that help tell his story.

Download the episode at:
and subscribe to our RSS feed from the home page for news updates

or on iTunes, and please give us 5 star ratings so we can stay visible in iTunes searches

Cheers,

Greg [email protected]
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: